Re: [RFC] mmap(MAP_CONTIG)

From: Vlastimil Babka
Date: Thu Oct 05 2017 - 03:07:00 EST

On 10/04/2017 01:56 AM, Mike Kravetz wrote:

Hi,

> At Plumbers this year, Guy Shattah and Christoph Lameter gave a presentation
> titled 'User space contiguous memory allocation for DMA' [1]. The slides

Hm I didn't find slides on that link, are they available?

> point out the performance benefits of devices that can take advantage of
> larger physically contiguous areas.
>
> When such physically contiguous allocations are done today, they are done
> within drivers themselves in an ad-hoc manner.

As Michal N. noted, the drivers might have different requirements. Is
contiguity (without extra requirements) so common that it would benefit
from a userspace API change?
Also how are the driver-specific allocations done today? mmap() on the
driver's device? Maybe we could provide some in-kernel API/library to
make them less "ad-hoc". Conversion to MAP_ANONYMOUS would at first seem
like an improvement in that userspace would be able to use a generic
allocation API and all the generic treatment of anonymous pages (LRU
aging, reclaim, migration etc), but the restrictions you listed below
eliminate most of that?
(It's likely that I just don't have enough info about how it works today
so it's difficult to judge)