Re: [alsa-devel] [Patch v6 1/7] slimbus: Device management on SLIMbus

From: Mark Brown
Date: Wed Oct 11 2017 - 06:24:18 EST

On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 01:34:48PM +0100, Srinivas Kandagatla wrote:
> On 10/10/17 11:05, Charles Keepax wrote:

Please delete unneeded context from mails when replying. Doing this
makes it much easier to find your reply in the message, helping ensure
it won't be missed by people scrolling through the irrelevant quoted
material.

> > This does sort of make sense but kinda makes the code a bit ugly
> > parsing the MID and PID. Some parts will support SLIMBus and also
> > other control interfaces, which means they would need to add an
> > additional compatible string just for SLIMBus. It also breaks
> > the normal conventions of vendor,part and finally it makes the
> > compatible strings really unreadable which will be a bit annoying
> > when looking at DTs.

> This change was made inline to the comments provided in previous version of
> the patch https://lkml.org/lkml/2016/5/3/576

I'm not sure I really agree with Rob here - while Slimbus is notionally
discoverable I don't think I ever saw a practical system which relied on
that for enumeration. In real systems the discoverability is more of a
complexity to be worked around than anything else.