Re: Documenting sigaltstack SS_AUTODISRM

From: walter harms
Date: Mon Oct 30 2017 - 08:55:03 EST

Am 30.10.2017 11:50, schrieb Michael Kerrisk (man-pages):
> Hi Walter,
>
> On 10/30/2017 11:21 AM, walter harms wrote:
>>

>> Am 30.10.2017 11:04, schrieb Michael Kerrisk (man-pages):
>>> [So, things fell on the floor, a while back.]

>>> Fair enough. I've removed the statement in the manual page
>>> about "confusion". By now the page says:
>>>
>>> BUGS
>>> In the lead up to the release of the Linux 2.4 kernel, a change
>>> was made to allow sigaltstack() to accept SS_ONSTACK in
>>> ss.ss_flags, which results in behavior that is the same as when
>>> ss_flags is 0 (i.e., the inclusion of SS_ONSTACK in ss.ss_flags is
>>> a no-op). On other implementations, and according to POSIX.1,
>>
>> i am confused, i understand that:
>> ss.ss_sp = malloc(SIGSTKSZ);
>>
>> ss.ss_size = SIGSTKSZ;
>> ss.ss_flags = 0;
>> if (sigaltstack(&ss, NULL) == -1)
>>
>> is equivalent to:
>> ss.ss_sp = malloc(SIGSTKSZ);
>>
>> ss.ss_size = SIGSTKSZ;
>> ss.ss_flags = SS_ONSTACK ;
>> if (sigaltstack(&ss, NULL) == -1)
>>
>> but also to
>> ss.ss_sp = malloc(SIGSTKSZ);
>>
>> ss.ss_size = SIGSTKSZ;
>> ss.ss_flags = SS_ONSTACK | SOMETHING_FLAG ;
>> if (sigaltstack(&ss, NULL) == -1)
>>
>> so the use of SS_ONSTACK would result in ss.ss_flags = 0 no matter what.
>> OR
>> SS_ONSTACK is a no-op in Linux
>
> I see what you mean. The point is back then that SS_ONSTACK was
> the only flag that could (on Linux) be specified in ss.ss_flags,
> so that "SS_ONSTACK | SOMETHING_FLAG" was a nonexistent case.
> These days, it's possible to specify the new SS_AUTODISARM
> flag in ss.ss_flags, which I think is why you are doubtful
> about the new page text. How about this, as a tightened-up
> version:
>
> BUGS
> In Linux 2.2 and earlier, the only flag that could be specified in
> ss.sa_flags was SS_DISABLE. In the lead up to the release of the
> Linux 2.4 kernel, a change was made to allow sigaltstack() to
> allow ss.ss_flags==SS_ONSTACK with the same meaning as
> ss.ss_flags==0 (i.e., the inclusion of SS_ONSTACK in ss.ss_flags
> is a no-op). On other implementations, and according to POSIX.1,
> SS_ONSTACK appears only as a reported flag in old_ss.ss_flags. On
> Linux, there is no need ever to specify SS_ONSTACK in ss.ss_flags,
> and indeed doing so should be avoided on portability grounds: varâ
> ious other systems give an error if SS_ONSTACK is specified in
> ss.ss_flags.
>
> ?

what about the other way around (general to special) ....

the inclusion of SS_ONSTACK in ss.ss_flags is a no-op (setting ss.ss_flags=SS_ONSTACK
will result in ss.ss_flags=0).

The details about older release will be helpful for upgrading pruposes.
So we can say:

Since Linux 2.4 the inclusion ....

does this help ?

re,