Re: KASAN: use-after-free Read in __do_page_fault

From: Andrea Arcangeli
Date: Tue Oct 31 2017 - 15:13:45 EST

On Tue, Oct 31, 2017 at 08:37:47AM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> Yes. Accessing "vma" after calling "handle_mm_fault()" is a bug. An
> unfortunate issue with userfaultfd.
>
> The suggested fix to simply look up pkey beforehand seems sane and simple.

Agreed.

> But sadly, from a quick check, it looks like arch/um/ has the same
> bug, but even worse. It will do
>
> (a) handle_mm_fault() in a loop without re-calculating vma. Don't ask me why.
>
> (b) flush_tlb_page(vma, address); afterwards

Yes, that flush_tlb_page is unsafe. Luckily it's only using it for
vma->vm_mm so it doesn't sound major issue to fix it.

> but much more importantly, I think __get_user_pages() is broken in two ways:
>
> - faultin_page() does:
>
> ret = handle_mm_fault(vma, address, fault_flags);
> if ((ret & VM_FAULT_WRITE) && !(vma->vm_flags & VM_WRITE))
>
> (easily fixed the same way)
>
> - more annoyingly and harder to fix: the retry case in
> __get_user_pages(), and the VMA saving there.
>
> Ho humm.
>
> Andrea, looking at that get_user_pages() case, I really think it's
> userfaultfd that is broken.
>
> Could we perhaps limit userfaultfd to _only_ do the VM_FAULT_RETRY,
> and simply fail for non-retry faults?

In the get_user_pages case we already limit it to do only
VM_FAULT_RETRY so no use after free should materialize whenever gup is
involved.

The problematic path for the return to userland (get_user_pages
returns to kernel) is this one:

if (return_to_userland) {
if (signal_pending(current) &&
!fatal_signal_pending(current)) {
/*
* If we got a SIGSTOP or SIGCONT and this is
* a normal userland page fault, just let
* userland return so the signal will be
* handled and gdb debugging works. The page
* fault code immediately after we return from
* this function is going to release the
* mmap_sem and it's not depending on it
* (unlike gup would if we were not to return
* VM_FAULT_RETRY).
*
* If a fatal signal is pending we still take
* the streamlined VM_FAULT_RETRY failure path
* and there's no need to retake the mmap_sem
* in such case.
*/
down_read(&mm->mmap_sem);
ret = VM_FAULT_NOPAGE;
}
}

We could remove the above branch all together and then
handle_userfault() would always return VM_FAULT_RETRY whenever it
decides to release the mmap_sem. The above makes debugging with gdb
more user friendly and it potentially lowers the latency of signals as
signals can unblock handle_userfault. The downside is that the return
to userland cannot dereference the vma after calling handle_mm_fault.

Thanks,
Andrea