Re: [2/3] iio: adc: ina2xx: Adhere to documented ABI, use Ohm instead of uOhm

From: Maciej Purski
Date: Wed Nov 08 2017 - 08:22:19 EST

On 11/06/2017 11:21 AM, Stefan Brüns wrote:
On Thursday, November 2, 2017 10:04:01 AM CET Maciej Purski wrote:
On 10/14/2017 08:27 PM, Stefan Bruens wrote:
On Montag, 9. Oktober 2017 11:29:43 CEST Maciej Purski wrote:
On 10/01/2017 09:48 PM, Stefan Brüns wrote:
According to the ABI documentation, the shunt resistor value should be
specificied in Ohm. As this is also used/documented for the MAX9611,
use the same for the INA2xx driver.

This poses an ABI break for anyone actually altering the shunt value
through the sysfs interface, it does not alter the default value nor
a value set from the devicetree.

Minor change: Fix comment, 1mA is 10^-3A.

I have just a minor issue. There could be an inconsistency with units as
in
my patch I make current_lsb adjustable and I need it to be in uA (it used
to be hardcoded as 1 mA so to achieve better precision we need smaller
units). So in order to keep calibration register properly scaled, I
convert
uOhms to mOhms on each set_calibration(). So if both my changes and your
changes were applied, on each shunt_resistore_store we would be
performing
multiplication by 10^6 and then in set_calibration() division by 10^3
which
seems odd to me.

I guess we could keep it as shunt_resistor_ohms instead of
shunt_resistor_uohm. We could avoid performing division on each
shunt_resistor_show() and perform multiplication by 10^3 only once in
set_calibration() on each
shunt_resistore_store(). We could then change the default value and
perform
division only on probing, when reading the shunt_resistance from device
tree.

There are many other options. It's not a major issue so maybe we could
leave it as it is or you could suggest some changes in my patch.

Sorry it took me so long to answer ...

The current fixed current_lsb of 1mA is indeed a bad choice for everything
but a shunt resistor value of 10mOhm, as it truncates the current value.
So what is a *good* choice?

One important point is the current register is merely more than a
convenience register. At least for the INA219/220, it provides nothing
not achievable in software, and for the INA226 family it only has added
value if the current is varying faster than the readout frequency and the
averaging is used.

The precision of the current register is limited by the precision of the
shunt voltage register, and may be reduced by the applied
scaling/calibration factor.

The precision of the shunt voltage register is fixed at 10uV (INA219)
resp.
2.5uV (INA226). Changing conversion time (both) and PGA (219) affects the
noise and offset, but the lsb value is still fixed.

If one wants to carry over the shunt voltage register precision into the
current register, its important no (or hardly any) truncation happens. The
terms therefor are given in the manual, formulas 8.5.1 (4) resp 7.5.1 (3):

INA219: current = shunt_voltage * cal_register / 4096
INA226: current = shunt_voltage * cal_register / 2048

So any cal value smaller than 4096 (2048) will introduce truncation
errors,
larger values may introduce overflows, if the full input range is used.
Now, would it not be wise to always use 4096 (2048) for the calibration
value?

The raw values from the IIO subsystem are meaningless without their
accompanying scale factor. Instead of changing the calibration value, why
not just change the reported scale factor?

More opinions are very welcome.

Kind regards,

Stefan

Thanks for the reply.

I agree that cal_register set to 4096 (2048) allows us to eliminate
truncaction error. However according to your suggestion, if we made cal_reg
a fixed value, then current_lsb and r_shunt should be also a fixed value,
as they are related according to formula 8.5 (1)

cal_register = 0.00512 / (current_lsb * r_shunt)

A fixed cal_register only means the current_lsb is implied by the selected
shunt resistor value.

If you insert 2048 into the equation above, you get:

current_lsb = 2.5 * 1e-6 * r_shunt,

and using Ohms law to replace r_shunt, thats exactly the resolution of the
shunt_voltage register as specified in the datasheet. The higher the shunt
resistor value, the smaller the current_lsb.
Therefore, changing the scale value wouldn't affect the calib_reg value, so
it wouldn't give the user any information on the actual current_lsb of the
device. The real value is calculated like this by the user:

processed_value = raw_value * scale

I think that even after changing the scale value processed_value is expected
to be approximately the same.

A fixed cal_register means you change the current_lsb by changing the shunt
resistor. This exposes the full ADC resolution.
The current_lsb *is* the scale value.

Kind regards,

Stefan

Thanks for your explanation. I can do this the way you suggest, so the only change with the original driver would be to make current_lsb (which is a scale value) follow changes of shunt_resistance value from userspace.

But before I'd like to ask Jonathan for opinion on that.

Kind regards,

Maciej