Re: Adding LICENSES folder for REUSE

From: Jonas Oberg
Date: Sat Nov 11 2017 - 16:31:11 EST

Hi Charlemagne,

> Since some people started to add the SPDX headers to some files, it
> might now be the right time to ask to get a LICENSES folder which will
> contain the separate licenses.

I wouldn't do that now. Adding SPDX license identifiers is in most cases
quite sufficient and something which I would encourage first.

What you mention about the LICENSES/ folder and the License-Filename
tag (which can be repeated) is an addition which is a bit more specific,
especially for BSD licenses where the SPDX license identifier alone does
not convey information about the specific "attribution requirement" of
each licensor.

Most often though, as you find the BSD licenses in the source code headers,
we wouldn't want the license text separated from them, and it would be
contrary to the REUSE principles to do so.

So for now, I would recommend to focus on the SPDX license identifiers and
then work out the other details later.

--
Jonas Öberg
Executive Director

FSFE e.V. - keeping the power of technology in your hands. Your
support enables our work, please join us today http://fsfe.org/join