Re: linux-next: Tree for Nov 7

From: Michal Hocko
Date: Tue Nov 14 2017 - 04:05:21 EST

On Tue 14-11-17 19:54:59, Michael Ellerman wrote:
> Michal Hocko <mhocko@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
[...]
> > So this was the most simple solution I could come up
> > with. If there was a general interest for MAP_FIXED_SAFE then we can
> > introduce it later of course. I would just like the hardening merged
> > sooner rather than later.
>
> Sure. But in the scheme of things one more kernel release is not that
> big a deal to get it right. Given that the simple approach of dropping
> MAP_FIXED turns out to not be simple at all.

Well, my idea was to push this hardening to older kernels because those
were more vulnerable for the PIE base vs. stack placement and stack
controllable size from userspace etc... Anyway, as per [1] it seems that
the MAP_FIXED_SAFE doesn't look terrible from the backporting POV.

If there is a general consensus that this is the preferred way to go, I
will post the patch as an RFC to linux-api

[1] http://lkml.kernel.org/r/20171113160637.jhekbdyfpccme3be@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
--
Michal Hocko
SUSE Labs