Re: 4.1 EOL

From: Tuncer Ayaz
Date: Wed Nov 15 2017 - 12:00:21 EST

On 11/15/17, Jani Nikula <jani.nikula@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The freedesktop.org bugs you reference are for rather different
> platforms than yours. There's nothing there to indicate v4.1 being
> the last known good kernel like for you. There is no exact same
> report.

I don't follow why you think it's a different platform and how I might
have "more" definitely shown v4.1 to be good, but I'll trust your
judgement as a drm dev and not argue :).

> Please file the bug. Please run v4.14 or drm-tip branch from [1].
> Please remove all other module parameters, but add drm.debug=14, and
> attach the dmesg from boot to the problem. Please attach the GPU
> error state if you get a GPU hang. Please let us decide if we've
> seen the bug before or not.

Is the flip_done timeout on exit from Xorg a separate bug? That's one
of the symptoms.

The other symptom is GEM errors in dmesg followed by rcs0 gpu hangs
some time later.

In both cases the machine will be temporarily unresponsive or even
hang indefinitely.

I can't say when the bugs will be filed. Hopefully soon.

> We've been continuously improving our CI and test assets and
> expanding the hardware pool we run the tests on for years now. Even
> so, bugs obviously slip through. And it's really *really* hard to
> revert anything or fix regressions when we get the reports about two
> years or a dozen kernel releases after we've broken stuff. :(

Sure, but it's important to note that the rcs0 hangs have been very
visible in 4.13 and, if included, better hidden in older kernels.
Meaning, it didn't appear as easily in older kernels for me to take
notice and report.