Re: [git pull] drm for v4.15

From: Nicolai HÃhnle
Date: Sat Nov 18 2017 - 05:49:43 EST

On 17.11.2017 20:18, Christian KÃnig wrote:
The obvious alternative which we are working on for a few years now is to improve the input data we get from the hardware people.

In other words instead of getting a flat list of registers we want the information about where and how many times a hardware block was instantiated.

But getting that proved much more difficult than we thought and yes we are working on that for multiple years now.

Well, the good news is that at least for the gfx registers, I actually have a proof-of-concept script that extracts the required information from the hardware sources. Generating e.g. a CB_COLOR_INFO(x) macro instead of CB_COLORx_INFO defines from that is not that hard :)

The real challenge is getting this integrated into the right processes so we don't have as much of a maintenance burden.

Cheers,
Nicolai
--
Lerne, wie die Welt wirklich ist,
Aber vergiss niemals, wie sie sein sollte.