Re: [Regression 4.15-rc2] New messages `tpm tpm0: A TPM error (2314) occurred continue selftest`

From: Jason Gunthorpe
Date: Wed Dec 06 2017 - 11:41:08 EST

On Wed, Dec 06, 2017 at 01:34:35PM +0100, Paul Menzel wrote:

> Dez 06 13:22:24 Ixpees kernel: tpm tpm0: A TPM error (2314) occurred
> continue selftest
> Dez 06 13:22:24 Ixpees kernel: tpm tpm0: TPM self test failed
>
> Any idea what to do about those? If these are intentional, itâd be great to
> give some hint to the user, what effect this has.

The TPM driver shouldn't load if self test fails, and we don't expect
self test to ever fail.

So..
1) The TPM is busted? Assuming not since you probably used an
earlier kernel?
2) The CRB driver is no longer executing command properly?
My guess would be
f5357413dbaa ("tpm/tpm_crb: Use start method value from ACPI table directly")
Borked it.

Maybe this TPM needed one of the workarounds and the
restructuring broke it, or maybe it was working 'accidently' and
got broke.
3) For some reason the core code is not handling commands correctly?
Don't see any patches on that topic though.

Unless someone else has an idea, we may have to ask you to do a
bisection on this bug?

Jason