Re: [BUG] Build error for 4.15-rc3 kernel caused by patch "kbuild: Add a cache for generated variables"

From: Doug Anderson
Date: Thu Dec 21 2017 - 21:19:13 EST

Hello,

On Wed, Dec 20, 2017 at 8:01 PM, Masahiro Yamada
<yamada.masahiro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Doug

>> Hi,

>>> I agree.
>>> When you upgrade your compiler,
>>> you need to remove not only cache files, but also all object files.
>>> So, "make clean" is the most reasonable way.

>>> Right. I think it's a good thing to do.
>>
>> Are you planning on doing this, or is this something you'd like me to
>> attempt? I'm a bit busy in the last two days before I go on Christmas
>> break, but I can try to squeeze something like this in since the root
>> of the issue is a patch that I authored. Let me know.
>
> I am busy too these days.
> Your contribution is very appreciated.

OK, I've attempted this. For anyone that might stumble upon this
thread, here are links:

* https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/10128647/
[1/2] kbuild: Require a 'make clean' if we detect gcc changed underneath us

* https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/10128645/
[2/2] kbuild: Don't mess with the .cache.mk when installing

>> If this is something you'd like me to do, let me know if you think the
>> right solution is to detect the problem and warn the user or if the
>> right solution is to just blow away the cache. It would be up to you,
>> but I'd tend to go the route of warning the user because:
>>
>> * The user should almost certainly do a "make clean" to really ensure
>> no mismatch between object files.
>>
>> * I could imagine that trying to invoke "make clean" automatically
>> might be complicated.
>
> I agree with both.
>

> When compiler upgrade is detected,
> we can terminate building
> with a hint message to prompt users to run "make clean"
>

>>> BTW, "sudo make install" or "sudo make modules_install" could
>>> add some cache entries by super user privilege?
>>>
>>> (For example, run build targets with CROSS_COMPILE,
>>> but run install targets without CROSS_COMPILE,
>>> install targets will produce different cache entries.)
>>>

>>> If so, "make clean" in normal user privilege
>>> can not remove cache files...
>>
>> Hrm. That doesn't sound nice. I guess this could be solved by
>> something like your "no-compiler-targets" patch, but IIUC that didn't
>> include "install" or "module_install". I guess the other option would
>> be to somehow detect "UID=0" specifically and not generate the cache?
>>
>> -Doug
>
> That would be a solution.
> We can skip cache generation for some sort of targets.

When I thought about this and tested, I realized that this is a pretty
unlikely scenario to run into (and also it's somewhat obvious what is
happening). ...but I've posted up a patch in any case so you can see
what you think. ;)

-Doug