Re: linux-next: manual merge of the jc_docs tree with the printk tree

From: Petr Mladek
Date: Fri Dec 22 2017 - 06:09:10 EST

Hi Jonathan,

On Fri 2017-12-22 10:45:30, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi Jonathan,
>
> Today's linux-next merge of the jc_docs tree got a conflict in:
>
> Documentation/core-api/printk-formats.rst
>
> between commit:
>
> d7c6075efa6c ("symbol lookup: introduce dereference_symbol_descriptor()")
>
> from the printk tree and commit:
>
> b3ed23213eab ("doc: convert printk-formats.txt to rst")
>
> from the jc_docs tree.
>
> I fixed it up (I think, see below) and can carry the fix as
> necessary. This is now fixed as far as linux-next is concerned, but any
> non trivial conflicts should be mentioned to your upstream maintainer
> when your tree is submitted for merging. You may also want to consider
> cooperating with the maintainer of the conflicting tree to minimise any
> particularly complex conflicts.

I guess that you have experience with these problems so you probably
know how to handle this the best way.

Anyway, the printk.git stuff is targeting kernel-4.16. I have no
problem to take the document conversion via printk.git tree.
We could do it also the other way. But note that the conflicting
change in printk.git is part of a patchset (8 patches).

Best Regards,
Petr

PS: I will stay out of computers next week, so I probably
won't be able to do anything about this until January 2, 2018.