Re: About the try to remove cross-release feature entirely by Ingo

From: Theodore Ts'o
Date: Wed Jan 03 2018 - 02:06:23 EST

On Wed, Jan 03, 2018 at 11:10:37AM +0900, Byungchul Park wrote:
> > The point I was trying to drive home is that "all we have to do is
> > just classify everything well or just invalidate the right lock
>
> Just to be sure, we don't have to invalidate lock objects at all but
> a problematic waiter only.

So essentially you are proposing that we have to play "whack-a-mole"
as we find false positives, and where we may have to put in ad-hoc
plumbing to only invalidate "a problematic waiter" when it's
problematic --- or to entirely suppress the problematic waiter
altogether. And in that case, a file system developer might be forced
to invalidate a lock/"waiter"/"completion" in another subsystem.

I will also remind you that doing this will trigger a checkpatch.pl
*error*:

ERROR("LOCKDEP", "lockdep_no_validate class is reserved for device->mutex.\n" . $herecurr);

- Ted