Re: [RFC] Retpoline: Binary mitigation for branch-target-injection (aka "Spectre")

From: Woodhouse, David
Date: Thu Jan 04 2018 - 04:35:38 EST

On Thu, 2018-01-04 at 01:10 -0800, Paul Turner wrote:
> Apologies for the discombobulation around today's disclosure.ÂÂObviously the
> original goal was to communicate this a little more coherently, but the
> unscheduled advances in the disclosure disrupted the efforts to pull this
> together more cleanly.
>
> I wanted to open discussion the "retpoline" approach and and define its
> requirements so that we can separate the core
> details from questions regarding any particular implementation thereof.
>
> As a starting point, a full write-up describing the approach is available at:
> Â https://support.google.com/faqs/answer/7625886

Note that (ab)using 'ret' in this way is incompatible with CET on
upcoming processors. HJ added a -mno-indirect-branch-register option to
the latest round of GCC patches, which puts the branch target in a
register instead of on the stack. My kernel patches (which I'm about to
reconcile with Andi's tweaks and post) do the same.

That means that in the cases where at runtime we want to ALTERNATIVE
out the retpoline, it just turns back into a bare 'jmp *\reg'.