Re: LKML admins (syzbot emails are not delivered)

From: Dmitry Vyukov
Date: Thu Jan 04 2018 - 06:05:00 EST

On Thu, Jan 4, 2018 at 10:23 AM, Greg Kroah-Hartman
<gregkh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 04, 2018 at 10:09:16AM +0100, Dmitry Vyukov wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Some of syzbot emails don't appear on LKML mailing lists, while they
> > were mailed as any other emails. Here are few examples:
> >
> > "KASAN: use-after-free Read in rds_tcp_dev_event"
> > https://groups.google.com/d/msg/syzkaller-bugs/nEeIAsNLWL4/1GzamOmRAwAJ
> >
> > "general protection fault in __wake_up_common"
> > https://groups.google.com/d/msg/syzkaller-bugs/4TrrZ0bIViw/rBcYLUJHAgAJ
> >
> > Does anybody know how to get in contact with real people behind LKML
> > and/or bugzilla?
> >
> > I am trying to understand why this happens, but failed so far (it does
> > not do any obviously prohibited stuff, and replies to these emails are
> > delivered).
>
> You should get a bounce notice from vger if the email is being rejected.

The problem is that it's not _me_, it's a computer program which uses
some mail delivery system which I don't have full visibility into. I
don't know if it even gets bounce emails (as far as I understand it's
not LKML that generates them, LKML SMTP server just returns some error
code and then it's a responsibility of somebody else to represent it
by a reply email). If the only way to probe the behavior is to send
actual emails to LKML (which have high chances to be actually
delivered to all subscribers), it makes testing somewhat problematic.

> If not, you might be on the spam filter list, which is listed on vger,
> did you check that?

I've looked at it manually and did not find any matches. Again, a
reply quoting full original text was delivered.

> > I tried to use autoanswer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (which is
> > referenced from http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html), but it
> > now always return:
> >
> > 554 5.0.0 Hi [209.85.192.182], unresolvable address:
> > <autoanswer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; nosuchuser; autoanswer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> autoanswer is not for admin requests.

Yes, I understand. But that would be a perfect way to probe behavior
and look at bounce messages. The problem is that it does not seem to
work at all.

> > I failed to find any admin email referenced anywhere.
>
> Look a bit harder, like at the bottom of this page:
>
> :)

I will try that one. Thanks.

> > On a related note, I also tried to contact bugzilla admins via
> > rt.linuxfoundation.org. But there is complete silence. Does anybody
> > know how to get it touch with these people?
>
> Did you get an answer back from the rt system? If not, it did not go
> through, and the help address might have changed. I can dig it up if
> so...

Yes, the ticket was filed as:
https://rt.linuxfoundation.org/SelfService/Display.html?id=50245
(so emailing helpdesk@xxxxxxxxxx part worked fine)