Re: WARNING in can_rcv

From: Oliver Hartkopp
Date: Wed Jan 17 2018 - 03:23:02 EST

On 01/17/2018 08:39 AM, Dmitry Vyukov wrote:
On Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 8:12 AM, Eric Biggers <ebiggers3@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 07:39:24AM +0100, Oliver Hartkopp wrote:

On 01/16/2018 07:11 PM, Dmitry Vyukov wrote:
On Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 7:07 PM, Marc Kleine-Budde <mkl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 01/16/2018 06:58 PM, syzbot wrote:
Hello,

syzkaller hit the following crash on
a8750ddca918032d6349adbf9a4b6555e7db20da
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/master
compiler: gcc (GCC) 7.1.1 20170620
.config is attached
Raw console output is attached.
C reproducer is attached
syzkaller reproducer is attached. See https://goo.gl/kgGztJ
for information about syzkaller reproducers

IMPORTANT: if you fix the bug, please add the following tag to the commit:
Reported-by: syzbot+4386709c0c1284dca827@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
It will help syzbot understand when the bug is fixed. See footer for
details.
If you forward the report, please keep this part and the footer.

device eql entered promiscuous mode
------------[ cut here ]------------
PF_CAN: dropped non conform CAN skbuf: dev type 65534, len 42, datalen 0
WARNING: CPU: 0 PID: 3650 at net/can/af_can.c:729 can_rcv+0x1c5/0x200
net/can/af_can.c:724
Kernel panic - not syncing: panic_on_warn set ...

Invalid packages generate a warning (WARN_ONCE()), and you have
panic_on_warn active. Should we better silently drop these CAN packages?

Hi,

pr_warn_once() will be more appropriate. It prints a single line.

The idea behind this WARN() is to detect really bad things that might have
happen on network driver level:

The CAN subsystem registers with dev_add_pack() for ETH_P_CAN and
ETH_P_CANFD only. These ETH_P_ types are only allowed to be created by CAN
network devices (like vcan, vxcan, and real CAN drivers).

I don't have any strong opinion on using WARN() or pr_warn_once().
Is this detected violation worth using WARN(), as something already must
have gone really wrong to trigger this issue?

WARN() indicates a kernel bug. If it's instead "userspace did something
stupid", or "someone sent some unexpected network packet", it needs to be
pr_warn_once(), pr_warn_ratelimited(), or removed entirely.

The packet comes from tun device. We could change tun to filter out
such packages earlier. However, in the context of "syzkaller support
for AF_CAN" discussion, it would actually be useful for fuzzer to be
able emit can packets for testing purposes.

Yes - definitely! It's a safer process to check the reception side instead of maintaining thousands of potential transmitters.

For example, for tcp it
can not just emit random packets, it can build complex user<->network
interactions, for example, open a listening socket, connect to it
"from outside", accept the connection, and then exchange some data
over the active connection. It could do the same for can.

Yes.

Is it possible to allow can packets via tun?

Hm - didn't even think about it.
CAN frames have a fixed data structure (struct can_frame) so the tunnel would need to be capable to process SOCK_SEQPACKET (?!?) traffic.

Right now there has been no work to 'tunnel' CAN traffic.

Then we could leave this
WARNING in place.

Yes.

tun/vcan are contained within a net namespace, so
this should not be a security problem, right?

vcan can be created in or moved into a namespace. vxcan can bridge namespaces similar to veth. This is all local traffic then.

What kind of security problem would you have in mind there?

Or is there a way to do the same with vcan? If yes, then fuzzer could
use vcan.

Yes. This would be my idea too. Unfortunately I'm very busy @work this week - so I would like to dig deeper into your mail some days ago at the beginning of next week.

But then we need some fix for this WARNING: either change it
to pr_warn or change tun (I don't have strong preference which one).

From the discussions (also with Eric) I think going with pr_warn is the right way for now.

Tnx & best regards,
Oliver