[REGRESSION, bisect] pci: cxgb4 probe fails after commit 104daa71b3961434 ("PCI: Determine actual VPD size on first access")

From: Arjun Vynipadath
Date: Tue Jan 23 2018 - 07:10:00 EST

Sending on behalf of "Casey Leedom <leedom@xxxxxxxxxxx>"

Way back on April 11, 2016 we reported a regression in Linux kernel 4.6-rc2
brought on by kernel.org commit 104daa71b396. This commit calculates the
size of a PCI Device's VPD area by parsing the VPD Structure at offset 0x000,
and restricts accesses to the VPD to that computed size.

Our devices have a second VPD structure which is located starting at offset
0x400 which is the "real" VPD[1]. The 104daa71b396 commit (plus a follow on
commit 408641e93aa5) caused efforts to read past the end of that computed
length of the VPD to return silently without error leaving stack junk in the
VPD read buffers.

We introduced kernel.org commit cb92148b to allow a driver to tell the
kernel how large the VPD area really is, introducing a new API
pci_set_vpd_size() for this purpose.

Now we've discovered a new subtlety to the problem.

We have a KVM Hypervisor running a 4.9.70 kernel. So it has all of the
above commits. When we attach our Physical Function 4 to a Virtual Machine
and attempt to run cxgb4 in that VM, we see the problem again. The issue is
that all of the VM Guest OS's efforts to access the PCIe VPD Capability are
trapped into the KVM 4.9.70 kernel and executed there, with the results
routed back to the VM Guest OS. The cxgb4 driver in the VM Guest OS uses
the new pci_set_vpd_size() to notify the OS of the true size of the VPD, but
that information of course is never sent to the KVM 4.9.70 Hypervisor.
(And, truth be told, if the Guest OS were older than 4.6, it wouldn't even
know that it needed to do this.) The result is that again we get silent VPD
read failures with random stack garbage in the VPD read buffers. (sigh)

It strikes me that the only way to handle this issue is to have KVM
circumvent the VPD-Size Restricted logic which was added in kernel.org
commits 104daa71b396 and 408641e93aa5. Maybe via a __pci_read_vpd() or
similar API. But we are open to other suggestions.

Thoughts?

Casey.

[1] Chelsio adapters actually have two VPD structures stored in the VPD. An
abbreviated on at Offset 0x0 and the complete VPD at Offset 0x400. The
abbreviated one only contains the PN, SN and EC Keywords, while the
complete VPD contains those plus various adapter constants contained in
V0, V1, etc. And it also contains the Base Ethernet MAC Address in the
"NA" Keyword which the cxgb4 driver needs when it can't contact the
adapter firmware. (We don't have the "NA" Keyword in the VPD Structure
at Offset 0x000 because that's not an allowed VPD Keyword in the PCI-E
3.0 specification.)

Note that two other drivers look like they may also do something
similar, the Broadcom bnx2x and tg3.