Re: nvmem: add driver for Microchip 24AA025E48 I2C eeprom / nodeID chip

From: Felix Brack
Date: Thu Jan 25 2018 - 09:37:41 EST

On 24.01.2018 17:02, Bartosz Golaszewski wrote:

>>> Does the existing driver [1] work for you (if you add ID there)?
>>>
>>> [1]: at24
>>>
>> Yes it does. Actually the driver I wrote 3 years ago is based on the
>> at24 driver. Lot's of code in my driver originates directly from the
>> at24 driver.
>>
>> --
>> regards Felix
>
> Just from looking at the doc - it seems that it's a variant of
> 24mac402. You should be able to access the memory block by
> instantiating an 'atmel,24c02' device. As for the EUI-48 block -
> current at24 driver will not work as the MAC is located at a different
> offset in this chip. We need to figure out a portable way to specify
> the addresses of such special blocks (same with the serial number) in
> the at24 driver.
>
> Anyways - don't write your own driver for that, just make sure at24 works.

If no one offends against blowing up this driver by some more code, then
that's fine with me. What about a patch that does the following:

1. Extend the DT bindings by a new optional property block_offset
denoting where to start reading/writing from/to this device.
2. Add a member block_offset to struct at24_platform_data{} to store
the device read/write offset returned from the DT (similar to the
already existing page_size member).
3. Complement at24_get_pdata() to read block_offset from the DT and
store it.
4. Make at24_eeprom_write_i2c() and at24_eeprom_read_serial() (and
eventually more?) respect the block_offset value.

Initializing the new block_offset member of struct at24_platform_data{}
to 0 should leave the code semantically unchanged.

Once this patch is in place I could use the 24mac402 device type with
block_offset set to 0xfa (and read-only set to true) to read the EUI-48
node address from Microchip's 24AA025E48. Probably the later addition of
a device named 24eui48 would also make sense (if not redundant ?).

Any comments are very appreciated, Felix