Re: [tip:x86/pti] x86/retpoline: Fill return stack buffer on vmexit

From: Josh Poimboeuf
Date: Thu Jan 25 2018 - 12:44:21 EST

On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 09:05:37AM -0800, Andy Lutomirski wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 9:00 AM, David Woodhouse <dwmw2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> Right, if you *really* want it always inline, the short term solution is
> >> to just patch it in with X86_FEATURE_ALWAYS.
> >
> > And the whole problem here is that patching it in with alternatives is
> > painful on kernels < 4.1 because back then, we didn't cope with
> > oldinstr and altinstr being different lengths.
> >
> > And they don't want to fix *that* because kABI...
> >
> > I just stopped caring.
>
> Screw kABI.

There are *many* real world users who depend on kABI, so it's a fact of
life with no better known solution for the given constraints.

If you have a better idea then I suggest you build your own enterprise
distro.

> Distros that use retpolines need their driver vendors to recompile no
> matter what. Distros that use IBRS and refuse to use retpolines
> should get put on a list of "didn't actually adequately mitigate
> spectre".

Retpolines don't need to break kABI. We can just detect when they're
missing and report it to the user.

And I don't think there's anybody *refusing* to use retpolines, is
there? But they're still not fully baked, especially for Skylake+.

IBRS was just easier to implement out of the gate. And it mitigates
Spectre just fine, but it's too slow to stick with long term.

--
Josh