Re: [RFC,05/10] x86/speculation: Add basic IBRS support infrastructure

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Mon Jan 29 2018 - 17:25:29 EST

I agree with your point that the common hypervisor practice to fake
old model numbers will break some of the workarounds. Hypervisors
may need to revisit their practice.

> > In general, making these kinds of decisions based on F/M/S is probably
> > unwise when running in a VM.
>
> Certainly. That's why I suggest not trusting f/m/s unless the
> hypervisor is explicitly saying it's accurate.

This would be only useful if there's an useful result of this
non trust.

But there isn't. Except for panic there's nothing you could do.
And I don't think panic would be reasonable.

The "Skylake bit " or "not skylake bit" doesn't make any sense
to me. If a hypervisor wants to enable Skylake workarounds
they need to provide the Skylake model number. If they don't
think they need them because the VM can never be migrated
to Skylake, then they don't need to set that model
number.

So there isn't any need for inventing any new bits, it's
all already possible.

-Andi