Re: [RFC 03/12] KVM/VMX: Use the new host mapping API for virtual_apic_page

From: Jim Mattson
Date: Fri Feb 09 2018 - 17:55:55 EST

On Fri, Feb 9, 2018 at 4:15 AM, KarimAllah Ahmed <karahmed@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Can you elaborate a bit? I do not really understand what is the concern.

I can't find the posting that gave me this impression. The only thing
I can find is the following in Documentation/vm/highmem.txt:

(*) kmap(). This permits a short duration mapping of a single page. It needs
global synchronization, but is amortized somewhat. It is also prone to
deadlocks when using in a nested fashion, and so it is not recommended for
new code.

What constitutes a "short duration," and does this new usage qualify?