Re: Software evolution around âcheckpatch.plâ?

From: SF Markus Elfring
Date: Sat Feb 10 2018 - 13:31:06 EST

>> So I think checkpatch is striking the right balance here in
>> how it warns. Obviously if it could assess the text
>> and come to an informed decision that would be great but
>> we are some way from that ;)
>
> The 'informed' bit is difficult as it is mostly a political problem.

I find such a view very interesting.

> I just wish Markus would improve his consistently terrible commit messages

I tried to achieve another clarification a few times.

> that just restate the action being done and detail
> _why_ a particular thing _should_ be done.

Unfortunately, it seems that no other contributors picked
corresponding opportunities up so far.

You indicated also special software development challenges in your commit
âcheckpatch: attempt to find unnecessary 'out of memory' messagesâ.

https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/6/10/382
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=ebfdc40969f24fc0cdd1349835d36e8ebae05374

> His acceptance rate would improve as many of these back and forth
> replies for what trivialities he posts as patches would be minimized.

My selection of change possibilities leads to mixed integration results.

I stumbled on variations for general change resistance.

Regards,
Markus