Re: Regression after commit 19809c2da28a ("mm, vmalloc: use __GFP_HIGHMEM implicitly")

From: Matthew Wilcox
Date: Sun Feb 11 2018 - 19:11:12 EST

On Sun, Feb 11, 2018 at 04:05:15AM -0800, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 11, 2018 at 03:28:08AM -0800, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> > Now, longer-term, perhaps we should do the following:
> >
> > #ifdef CONFIG_ZONE_DMA32
> > #define OPT_ZONE_DMA32 ZONE_DMA32
> > #elif defined(CONFIG_64BIT)
> > #define OPT_ZONE_DMA OPT_ZONE_DMA
> > #else
> > #define OPT_ZONE_DMA32 ZONE_NORMAL
> > #endif
>
> For consistent / coherent memory, we have an allocation function.
> But we don't have an allocation function for streaming memory, which is
> what these drivers want. They also flush the DMA memory and then access
> the memory through a different virtual mapping, which I'm not sure is
> going to work well on virtually-indexed caches like SPARC and PA-RISC
> (maybe not MIPS either?)

Perhaps I (and a number of other people ...) have misunderstood the
semantics of GFP_DMA32. Perhaps GFP_DMA32 is not "allocate memory below
4GB", perhaps it's "allocate memory which can be mapped below 4GB".
Machines with an IOMMU can use ZONE_NORMAL. Machines with no IOMMU can
choose to allocate memory with a physical address below 4GB.

After all, it has 'DMA' right there in the name. If someone's relying
on it to allocate physical memory below 4GB, they're arguably misusing it.