Re: [GIT PULL] x86 PTI and Spectre related fixes and updates

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Wed Feb 14 2018 - 20:17:32 EST

On Wed, Feb 14, 2018 at 4:38 PM, Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> This tree generates two relatively simple conflicts with your tree:

So what annoys me about these conflicts is that I'm not convinced that
the stable tree actually *uses* your fancy x86/pti branch?

I think stable ends up working like a patch-queue anyway due to how
Greg works and all his helper scripts, so the whole "let's keep a
branch for pti" ends up being of dubious advantage when it results in
conflicts on merging, and it's not the same commits in the end anyway.

This is not a complaint so much as a "is it worth it?" question..

Linus