Re: inconsistent lock state with usbnet/asix usb ethernet and xhci

From: Marek Szyprowski
Date: Mon Mar 05 2018 - 02:45:15 EST

Hi Oliver,

On 2018-02-27 17:07, Oliver Neukum wrote:
Am Dienstag, den 27.02.2018, 07:13 -0800 schrieb Eric Dumazet:
On Tue, 2018-02-27 at 07:09 -0800, Eric Dumazet wrote:

Note that for this one, it seems we also could perform stats updates in
BH context, since skb is queued via defer_bh()

But simplicity wins I guess.
Thinking more about this, I am not sure we have any guarantee that TX
and RX can not run on multiple cpus.

Using an unique syncp is not going to be safe, even if we make lockdep
happy enough with the local_irq save/restore.
Unfortunately you are right. It is not guaranteed for some hardware.

Does it mean that the fix proposed by Eric is not the proper solution?

Best regards
--
Marek Szyprowski, PhD
Samsung R&D Institute Poland