Re: [GIT PULL] x86/build changes for v4.17

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Mon Apr 02 2018 - 17:44:57 EST

On Mon, Apr 2, 2018 at 2:50 AM, Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The biggest change is the forcing of asm-goto support on x86, which effectively
> increases the GCC minimum supported version to gcc-4.5 (on x86).

So my biggest worry isn't gcc-4.5 (anybody who hasn't updated deserves
to be forced, or can stay with old kernels).

No, my biggest worry is clang. What's the status there?

I've pulled this, and honestly, the disaster with
-fmerge-all-constants makes me think that clang isn't that good a
compiler choice anyway, but it's sad if this undoes a lot of clang
work just because of the worries about Spectre and mis-speculated
branches.

Linus