Re: Wrong module .text address in 4.16.0

From: Jessica Yu
Date: Mon Apr 16 2018 - 09:43:19 EST

+++ Christian Borntraeger [16/04/18 12:53 +0200]:
Can this be related to
commit ef0010a30935de4e0211cbc7bdffc30446cdee9b
vsprintf: don't use 'restricted_pointer()' when not restricting
and related commits?

To me it looks like %pk is always printing the hash, but never the real pointer -
no matter what kernel.kptr_restrict says.

(Added Kees and Tobin to CC)

Can confirm, a git bisect confirms that ef0010a3093 was the first bad commit.

And yeah, the default seems to be to always hash the pointer address now,
regardless of kptr_restrict. See Documentation/sysctl/kernel.txt:

When kptr_restrict is set to 0 (the default) the address is hashed before
printing. (This is the equivalent to %p.)

And to quote from the relevant patchset (https://lkml.org/lkml/2017/11/28/1593):

The added advantage of hashing %p is that security is now opt-out, if
you _really_ want the address you have to work a little harder and use %px.

So for users of /sys/module/*/sections, we will need to work around
this and possibly use %px for the real address. But perhaps we should
base the usage of %px on kptr_restrict? That is what m_show() in
module.c currently does, which is why you get the correct address when
you look at /proc/modules (it uses %px and either shows 0's or the
real address based on kallsyms_show_value()). module_sect_show() uses
%pK so it's getting hashed. Is there a better way of doing this?

Jessica