Re: [RFC 2/6] dmaengine: xilinx_dma: Pass AXI4-Stream control words to netdev dma client

From: Lars-Peter Clausen
Date: Tue Apr 17 2018 - 09:58:39 EST

On 04/17/2018 03:46 PM, Peter Ujfalusi wrote:
> On 2018-04-17 15:54, Lars-Peter Clausen wrote:
>> On 04/17/2018 01:43 PM, Radhey Shyam Pandey wrote:
>>> Hi Vinod,

That's good stuff. Is this in a public tree somewhere?

>> Or you can implement a interface that is specific to your DMA controller and
>> any client using this interface knows it is talking to your DMA controller.
>
> Hrm, so we can have DMA driver specific calls? The reason why TI's keystone 2
> navigator DMA support was rejected that it was introducing NAV specific calls
> for clients to configure features not yet supported by the framework.

In my opinion it is OK, somebody else might have different ideas. I mean it
is not nice, but it is better than the alternative of overloading the
generic API with driver specific semantics or introducing some kind of IOCTL
catch all callback.

If there is tight coupling between the DMA core and client and there is no
intention of using a generic client the best solution might even be to no
use DMAengine at all.