Re: s390 perf events JSONs query

From: Thomas-Mich Richter
Date: Fri Apr 20 2018 - 07:44:30 EST

On 04/20/2018 12:51 PM, John Garry wrote:
> Hi Hendrik, Thomas,
>
> I noticed that in 4.17-rc1 support was included for s390 perf pmu-events. I also notice that the JSONs contain many common (identical actually) events between different chips for this arch.
>
> Support was added for factoring out common arch events in https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/next/linux-next.git/commit/tools/perf/pmu-events?h=next-20180420&id=e9d32c1bf0cd7a98358ec4aa1625bf2b3459b9ac
>
> ARM64 chips use this feature. I am not familiar with the s390 arch, but do you think you could also use this feature?
>
> Thanks,
> John

Thanks John,

for bringing this to my attention. Yes I will definitely look into this feature and will try to
rework our s390 json files when this seems beneficial.

I did not notice this patch on the linux-perf-users mailing list. Was it there for review?
I do ask this because recently I have nearly no traffic on this list in my reader, so I wonder
if there is something wrong with my mailing list subscription or setup.

Thanks.

--
Thomas Richter, Dept 3303, IBM LTC Boeblingen Germany