Re: [RFC] perf/core: what is exclude_idle supposed to do

From: Vince Weaver
Date: Fri Apr 20 2018 - 10:18:14 EST

On Fri, 20 Apr 2018, Peter Zijlstra wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 18, 2018 at 11:10:20AM -0400, Vince Weaver wrote:

> > > AFAICS it's not implemented
> >
> > so just to be completely clear hear, we're saying that the "exclude_idle"
> > modifier has never done anything useful and still doesn't?
>
> AFAICT it works on Power and possibly ARM.

at least some ARMs are a bit more honest about it than x86

ivybridge:
Performance counter stats for '/bin/ls':
1,368,162 instructions
1,368,162 instructions:I

pi2/ARM cortex-A7
Performance counter stats for '/bin/ls':
1,910,083 instructions
<not supported> instructions:I

I'd fire up my Power8 machine to see but not sure it's worth the hassle
and/or having to get out the ear protection.

Vince