Re: next-20180416 - warnings from 'make tools/perf'

From: Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo
Date: Mon Apr 23 2018 - 10:55:47 EST

Em Mon, Apr 23, 2018 at 08:52:04AM +0200, Ingo Molnar escreveu:

> * valdis.kletnieks@xxxxxx <valdis.kletnieks@xxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Seeing these warnings. 'diff' tells me that the files
> > are in fact significantly different.
> >
> > Warning: Kernel ABI header at 'tools/include/uapi/linux/kvm.h' differs from latest version at 'include/uapi/linux/kvm.h'
> > Warning: Kernel ABI header at 'tools/include/uapi/linux/prctl.h' differs from latest version at 'include/uapi/linux/prctl.h'
> > Warning: Kernel ABI header at 'tools/include/uapi/sound/asound.h' differs from latest version at 'include/uapi/sound/asound.h'
> > Warning: Kernel ABI header at 'tools/arch/x86/include/asm/required-features.h' differs from latest version at 'arch/x86/include/asm/required-features.h'
> > Warning: Kernel ABI header at 'tools/arch/x86/include/uapi/asm/kvm.h' differs from latest version at 'arch/x86/include/uapi/asm/kvm.h'
> > Warning: Kernel ABI header at 'tools/arch/arm/include/uapi/asm/kvm.h' differs from latest version at 'arch/arm/include/uapi/asm/kvm.h'
> > Warning: Kernel ABI header at 'tools/include/uapi/asm-generic/mman-common.h' differs from latest version at 'include/uapi/asm-generic/mman-common.h'
> > Warning: Kernel ABI header at 'tools/include/uapi/linux/bpf.h' differs from latest version at 'include/uapi/linux/bpf.h'
> > Warning: Kernel ABI header at 'tools/include/uapi/linux/if_link.h' differs from latest version at 'include/uapi/linux/if_link.h'
>
> The warnings are harmless, and they should be fixed in v4.17-rc2.

Yeah, its just a way for us to get warned that new APIs were introduced,
so we need to check if changes are needed in the tools, sometimes those
changes take place automagically when we update the copies we have.

We're not expecting or asking anybody to care about tools/ when doing
changes in kernel headers that we have copies, that would possibly annoy
kernel developers and we want to keep them super happy and productive
:-)

- Arnaldo