Re: [RFC v4 3/4] irqflags: Avoid unnecessary calls to trace_ if you can

From: Joel Fernandes
Date: Tue Apr 24 2018 - 14:59:43 EST

Hi Paul,

On Tue, Apr 24, 2018 at 11:26 AM, Paul E. McKenney
<paulmck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 24, 2018 at 11:23:02AM -0700, Paul E. McKenney wrote:

>> > Gah, yes, there is an entry on my capacious todo list on making SRCU
>> > grace periods work during early boot and mid-boot. Let me see what
>> > I can do...
>>
>> OK, just need to verify that you are OK with call_srcu()'s callbacks
>> not being invoked until sometime during core_initcall() time. (If you
>> really do need them to be invoked before that, in theory it is possible,
>> but in practice it is weird, even for RCU.)
>
> Oh, and that early at boot, you will need to use DEFINE_SRCU() or
> DEFINE_STATIC_SRCU() rather than dynamic allocation and initialization.
>
> Thanx, Paul

Oh ok.

About call_rcu, calling it later may be an issue since we register the
probes in start_kernel, for the first probe call_rcu will be sched,
but for the second one I think it'll try to call_rcu to get rid of the
first one.

This is the relevant code that gets called when probes are added:

static inline void release_probes(struct tracepoint_func *old)
{
if (old) {
struct tp_probes *tp_probes = container_of(old,
struct tp_probes, probes[0]);
call_rcu_sched(&tp_probes->rcu, rcu_free_old_probes);
}
}

Maybe we can somehow defer the call_srcu until later? Would that be possible?

also Mathieu, you didn't modify the call_rcu_sched in your prototype
to be changed to use call_srcu, should you be doing that?

thanks,

- Joel