Re: [Ksummit-discuss] bug-introducing patches

From: Greg KH
Date: Sat May 05 2018 - 12:38:16 EST

On Sat, May 05, 2018 at 12:02:47AM -0500, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> So the way I use headers today is:
> Cc: stable@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Fixes: sha1hash "commit subject"

And that makes my life _so_ much easier. The Fixes: tag is great
(thanks James!), I have scripts that I use to track if a fix was applied
to a stable tree to know if it needs to go into that branch as well.
Without that, the "# 4.9" marking just doesn't work, as it doesn't tell
me if that commit got backported to 4.4.y as well. I used to do that
type of detection by hand, but automating it is so much better and I
miss less patches that way.

Anyway, just my two cents, let's try to keep this simple for both
maintainers, and stable developers, if at all possible. I think what we
have now works well, but if people think the documentation should be
cleaned up, great, send patches :)

thanks,

greg k-h