Re: *alloc API changes

From: Matthew Wilcox
Date: Mon May 07 2018 - 07:39:13 EST

On Fri, May 04, 2018 at 09:24:56PM -0700, Kees Cook wrote:
> On Fri, May 4, 2018 at 8:46 PM, Matthew Wilcox <willy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The only fear I have with the saturating helpers is that we'll end up
> using them in places that don't recognize SIZE_MAX. Like, say:
>
> size = mul(a, b) + 1;
>
> then *poof* size == 0. Now, I'd hope that code would use add(mul(a,
> b), 1), but still... it makes me nervous.

That's reasonable. So let's add:

#define ALLOC_TOO_BIG (PAGE_SIZE << MAX_ORDER)

(there's a presumably somewhat obsolete CONFIG_FORCE_MAX_ZONEORDER on some
architectures which allows people to configure MAX_ORDER all the way up
to 64. That config option needs to go away, or at least be limited to
a much lower value).

On x86, that's 4k << 11 = 8MB. On PPC, that might be 64k << 9 == 32MB.
Those values should be relatively immune to further arithmetic causing
an additional overflow.

> Good point. Though it does kind of creep me out to let a known-bad
> size float around in the allocator until it decides to reject it. I
> would think an early:
>
> if (unlikely(size == SIZE_MAX))
> return NULL;
>
> would have virtually no cycle count difference...

I don't think it should go in the callers though ... where it goes in
the allocator is up to the allocator maintainers ;-)

> > I'd rather have a mul_ab(), mul_abc(), mul_ab_add_c(), etc. than nest
> > calls to mult().
>
> Agreed. I think having exactly those would cover almost everything,
> and the two places where a 4-factor product is needed could just nest
> them. (bikeshed: the very common mul_ab() should just be mul(), IMO.)
>
> > Nono, Linus had the better proposal, struct_size(p, member, n).
>
> Oh, yes! I totally missed that in the threads.

so we're agreed on struct_size(). I think rather than the explicit 'mul',
perhaps we should have array_size() and array3_size().

> Right, no. I think if we can ditch *calloc() and _array() by using
> saturating helpers, we'll have the API in a much better form:
>
> kmalloc(foo * bar, GFP_KERNEL);
> into
> kmalloc_array(foo, bar, GFP_KERNEL);
> into
> kmalloc(mul(foo, bar), GFP_KERNEL);

kmalloc(array_size(foo, bar), GFP_KERNEL);

> and the fun
>
> kzalloc(sizeof(*header) + count * sizeof(*header->element), GFP_KERNEL);
> into
> kzalloc(struct_size(header, element, count), GFP_KERNEL);
>
> modulo all *alloc* families...
>
> ?

I think we're broadly in agreement here!