Re: Regression caused by commit 882164a4a928

From: Michael BÃsch
Date: Mon May 07 2018 - 14:44:48 EST

On Mon, 7 May 2018 10:44:34 -0500
Larry Finger <Larry.Finger@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Although commit 882164a4a928 ("ssb: Prevent build of PCI host features in
> module") appeared to be harmless, it leads to complete failure of drivers b43.

> config SSB_DRIVER_PCICORE_POSSIBLE
> bool
> - depends on SSB_PCIHOST && SSB = y
> + depends on SSB_PCIHOST && (SSB = y || !MIPS)
> default y
>
> config SSB_DRIVER_PCICORE

https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/10161131/

Could we _please_ switch to not applying patches to ssb or b43, if
nobody acked (or better reviewed) a patch?

We had multiple changes to ssb and b43 in the recent past that did not
have a review at all and broke something. I don't think such software
quality is acceptable at all.
So please revert 882164a4a928.

I'm sorry that this patch slipped through the cracks of my inbox.
But the reaction to that shall not be to just apply the patch. It
shall be to resubmit it for review.

But back to the technical topic.
I don't remember why SSB_DRIVER_PCICORE_POSSIBLE depends on SSB_PCIHOST.
But that looks and feels wrong.

I would say it should rather look like

config SSB_DRIVER_PCICORE_POSSIBLE
depends on SSB && (PCI = y || PCI = SSB)

completely untested, though.

--
Michael