Re: [RFC v3 4/5] virtio_ring: add event idx support in packed ring

From: Jason Wang
Date: Tue May 08 2018 - 03:17:07 EST

On 2018å05æ08æ 14:44, Tiwei Bie wrote:
On Tue, May 08, 2018 at 01:40:40PM +0800, Jason Wang wrote:
On 2018å05æ08æ 11:05, Jason Wang wrote:
Because in virtqueue_enable_cb_delayed(), we may set an
event_off which is bigger than new and both of them have
wrapped. And in this case, although new is smaller than
event_off (i.e. the third param -- old), new shouldn't
add vq->num, and actually we are expecting a very big
idx diff.
Yes, so to calculate distance correctly between event and new, we just
need to compare the warp counter and return false if it doesn't match
without the need to try to add vq.num here.

Thanks
Sorry, looks like the following should work, we need add vq.num if
used_wrap_counter does not match:

static bool vhost_vring_packed_need_event(struct vhost_virtqueue *vq,
ÂÂÂ ÂÂÂ ÂÂÂ ÂÂÂ ÂÂÂ Â __u16 off_wrap, __u16 new,
ÂÂÂ ÂÂÂ ÂÂÂ ÂÂÂ ÂÂÂ Â __u16 old)
{
ÂÂÂ bool wrap = off_wrap >> 15;
ÂÂÂ int off = off_wrap & ~(1 << 15);
ÂÂÂ __u16 d1, d2;

ÂÂÂ if (wrap != vq->used_wrap_counter)
ÂÂÂ ÂÂÂ d1 = new + vq->num - off - 1;
Just to draw your attention (maybe you have already
noticed this).

I miss this, thanks!

In this case (i.e. wrap != vq->used_wrap_counter),
it's also possible that (off < new) is true. Because,

when virtqueue_enable_cb_delayed_packed() is used,
`off` is calculated in driver in a way like this:

off = vq->last_used_idx + bufs;
if (off >= vq->vring_packed.num) {
off -= vq->vring_packed.num;
wrap_counter ^= 1;
}

And when `new` (in vhost) is close to vq->num. The
vq->last_used_idx + bufs (in driver) can be bigger
than vq->vring_packed.num, and:

1. `off` will wrap;
2. wrap counters won't match;
3. off < new;

And d1 (i.e. new + vq->num - off - 1) will be a value
bigger than vq->num. I'm okay with this, although it's
a bit weird.

So I'm considering something more compact by reusing vring_need_event() by pretending a larger queue size and adding vq->num back when necessary:

static bool vhost_vring_packed_need_event(struct vhost_virtqueue *vq,
ÂÂÂ ÂÂÂ ÂÂÂ ÂÂÂ ÂÂÂ Â __u16 off_wrap, __u16 new,
ÂÂÂ ÂÂÂ ÂÂÂ ÂÂÂ ÂÂÂ Â __u16 old)
{
ÂÂÂ bool wrap = vq->used_wrap_counter;
ÂÂÂ int off = off_wrap & ~(1 << 15);
ÂÂÂ __u16 d1, d2;

ÂÂÂ if (new < old) {
ÂÂÂ ÂÂÂ new += vq->num;
ÂÂÂ ÂÂÂ wrap ^= 1;
ÂÂÂ }

ÂÂÂ if (wrap != off_wrap >> 15)
ÂÂÂ ÂÂÂ off += vq->num;

ÂÂÂ return vring_need_event(off, new, old);
}

Best regards,
Tiwei Bie

ÂÂÂ else