Re: general protection fault in lo_ioctl (2)

From: Tetsuo Handa
Date: Tue May 08 2018 - 17:06:58 EST

Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:
> On Tue, May 08, 2018 at 08:05:12PM +0900, Tetsuo Handa wrote:
> >
> > So, it is time to think how to solve this race condition, as well as how to solve
> > lockdep's deadlock warning (and I guess that syzbot is actually hitting deadlocks).
> > An approach which serializes loop operations using global lock was proposed at
> > https://groups.google.com/d/msg/syzkaller-bugs/2Rw8-OM6IbM/PzdobV8kAgAJ .
> > Please respond...
>
> I'm looking at your patch which you proposed on this, and the locking
> architecture still looks way too complex. Things like
> loop_mutex_owner, and all of the infrastructure around
> lo->ioctl_in_progress should be removed, if at all possible.

The patch in the above link no longer uses "lo->ioctl_in_progress".
You looked at previous version rather than current version.

> I believe it should be possible to do things with a single global
> mutex, some code refactoring, and some unlocked versions of some of
> the functions.

The patch in the above link uses single global mutex "loop_mutex".

> Again, this requires root, and it requires someone deliberately trying
> to induce a race. So "it's time" is not necessarily the priority I
> would set for this item. But if we are going to fix it, let's fix it
> right, and not make the code more complex and less maintainable, all
> in the name of trying to make a rare, not-likely-to-happen-in-real-life
> syzbot reported problem to go away.

While NULL pointer dereference would be rare, deadlocks might not be rare
enough to postpone the patch. Deadlocks can cause pile of false-positive
hung task reports and can prevent syzbot from finding other bugs. That's
why I say "it is time to think".