Re: linux-next: manual merge of the akpm-current tree with the jc_docs tree

From: Andrea Parri
Date: Wed May 09 2018 - 09:28:40 EST

On Wed, May 09, 2018 at 08:25:26PM +1000, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Today's linux-next merge of the akpm-current tree got a conflict in:
>
> Documentation/features/vm/pte_special/arch-support.txt
>
> between commit:
>
> 2bef69a385b4 ("Documentation/features/vm: Remove arch support status file for 'pte_special'")
>
> from the jc_docs tree and commit:
>
> 1099dc900e93 ("mm: introduce ARCH_HAS_PTE_SPECIAL")
>
> from the akpm-current tree.
>
> I fixed it up (the former removed the file, so I did that) and can
> carry the fix as necessary. This is now fixed as far as linux-next is
> concerned, but any non trivial conflicts should be mentioned to your
> upstream maintainer when your tree is submitted for merging. You may
> also want to consider cooperating with the maintainer of the conflicting
> tree to minimise any particularly complex conflicts.
>
> BTW, it would be nice if the the question "Why was this file removed?" was
> answered by that jc_docs commit message ... I actually wonder if this
> file needs to return (I have no way of knowing).

My bad; thanks for pointing this out.

Mmh... "why" would have been something like "the feature has no Kconfig". ;-)

I defer to your (community) decision regarding "if this file needs to return"
(Cc-ing Ingo, who created the file and also suggested its removal); I remain
available for preparing the patch to restore (and refresh) this file, should
you agree with this approach.

Andrea