Re: [tip/core/rcu,16/21] rcu: Add funnel locking to rcu_start_this_gp()

From: Joel Fernandes
Date: Mon May 14 2018 - 01:00:52 EST

On Sun, May 13, 2018 at 07:22:06PM -0700, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
[..]

> > > Good point, pushed now. And the patch that I forgot to include in the
> > > last email is below.
> >
> > Cool, thanks. Also one thing I wanted to discuss, I am a bit unclear about
> > the if (rcu_seq_done..) condition in the loop which decides if the GP
> > requested is pre-started.
>
> Actually, rcu_seq_done() instead determines whether or not the GP has
> -completed-.
>
> > Say c is 8 (0b1000) - i.e. gp requested is 2.
> > I drew some tables with some examples, the result column is what the
> > current code will do.
> >
> > Say gp_seq is 12 and its not progress (0b1100),
> >
> > gp_seq gp_num state analysis of gp_seq result
> > 12 3 0 gp 3 not started pre-started
> > (gp 2 completed)
> >
> > For this, the "greater than" check in rcu_seq_done will work because 2 already
> > completed (The check essentially does 12 >= 8 which implies prestarted).
>
> Agreed.
>
> > Say gp_seq is 9 and it is in progress (0b1001)
> > gp_seq gp_num state state of gp_seq result
> > 9 2 1 gp 2 in progress pre-started
> > (gp 1 completed)
> >
> > Here also the "greater than" check is correct (9 >= 8 which implies prestarted).
>
> Yes, ->gp_seq of 9 implies that _snap() of 8 is done and gone.

According to the above table, I was trying to indicate that gp_seq = 9
implies, gp_num of 2 is in progress, not done. So in my view, whatever the
_snap returned is in progress now (state bit is set).

> > However, say gp_seq is 8
> > gp_seq gp_num state state of gp_seq result
> > 8 2 0 gp 2 not started pre-started
> > (gp 1 completed)
> >
> > In this case, rcu_seq_done will incorrectly say that its pre-started when 2
> > has not yet started. For this reason, I feel the equal-to check in
> > rcu_seq_done will incorrectly predict prestarted.
>
> If _snap() said 8, then it meant that when ->gp_seq reached 8, the needed
> grace periods had elapsed. So ULONG_CMP_GE() really is what we want.

I kind of don't agree still according to the below (but I'm pretty sure I'm
missing something so I probably need to go through some more examples, do
some more tracing etc.)

Forgetting about _snap for a second, can we not look at gp_seq independently
and determine what the grace period is currently doing? In my view, if gp_seq
reaches 8 (gp_num is 2) - that means that gp_num of 1 was just done. It
doesn't mean 2 completed.. 2 could have either started or not yet started, we
can't tell without look at the state bits... this is the part I didn't get.

rcu_seq_start only sets the state bit. rcu_seq_end increments the gp_num
value.

I thought when rcu_seq_end sets the value part of gp_seq to gp_num, I thought
that means that gp_num - 1 just completed. Is that not true?

> > I think to fix this, the rseq_done condition could be replaced with:
> > if (ULONG_CMP_GT(rnp_root->gpseq, c)) {
> > // pre-started
> > }
> >
> > I believe the difference arises because one of the patches during the
> > conversion to use gp_seq in the tree replaced rcu_seq_done with ULONG_CMP_GE,
> > where as such a replacement doesn't work in the gp_seq regime because of
> > difference in the way a gp's starte/end is accounted (vs the old way).
> >
> > Does it make sense or was I way off about something :D ?
>
> I believe that you need to start with where the value passed via "c"
> to rcu_start_this_gp() came from. I suggest starting with the call
> from the rcu_seq_snap() in rcu_nocb_wait_gp(), whose return value is
> then passed to rcu_start_this_gp(), the reason being that it doesn't
> drag you through the callback lists.

Ok I'll try to do some more tracing / analysis and think some more following
your suggestions about starting from rcu_nocb_wait_gp. Most likely I am
wrong, but I am yet to convince myself about it :-(

thanks so much!

- Joel