Re: [alsa-devel] [RFC/RFT PATCH] ASoC: topology: Improve backwards compatibility with v4 topology files

From: Pierre-Louis Bossart
Date: Wed May 23 2018 - 08:49:41 EST

On 5/23/18 3:24 AM, Mark Brown wrote:
On Tue, May 22, 2018 at 02:59:35PM -0500, Pierre-Louis Bossart wrote:

I am also not convinced by the notion that maintaining topology files is
only a userspace/distro issue. This would mean some distros will have access
to the required topology files, possibly enabling DSP processing
capabilities, but other will not and will not be able to enable even basic
playback/capture. Just like we have a basic firmware with limited
functionality in /lib/firmware/intel, it would make sense to require a basic
.conf file in alsa-lib for every upstream machine driver - along possibly
with a basic UCM file so that audio works no matter what distro people use.

The point here is that people should be able to update their kernel
without updating their userspace so things have to work with whatever
they have right now - anything that relies on shipping new firmware or
configuration files to userspace is a problem.

Agree.

My point was a bit different: distributions like Gallium start without the relevant topology files and UCM settings, and we should have a reference to quickly enable audio without having to borrow and modify files from another distro. I faced this issue when I worked with the Gallium folks to enable audio on Rambi and Cyan Chromebooks and ended-up creating this reference myself.