Re: [GIT PULL 2/4] ARM: Device-tree updates

From: Heiko Stuebner
Date: Tue Jun 12 2018 - 09:04:33 EST

Am Dienstag, 12. Juni 2018, 03:04:34 CEST schrieb Linus Torvalds:
> On Mon, Jun 11, 2018 at 5:02 PM Olof Johansson <olof@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > - Qualcomm:
> > + SDM845, a.k.a Snapdragon 845, an 4+4-core Kryo 385/845
> > (Cortex-A75/A55 derivative) SoC that's one of the current high-end
> > mobile SoCs.
> >
> > It's great to see mainline support for it. So far, you
> > can't do much with it, since a lot of peripherals are not yet in the
> > DTs but driver support for USB, GPU and other pieces are starting to
> > trickle in. This might end up being a well-supported SoC upstream if
> > the momentum keeps up.
>
> Isn't the Qualcomm 845 also the SoC in some of the new WARM laptops?
>
> I asked one person that had an older one (ASUS NovaGo - Qualcomm 835),
> and apparently you can actually disable secure boot on that thing and
> boot from USB.
>
> In other words, it might _actually_ act like a normal laptop.
>
> I'd love to have something that is actually a real honest-to-goodness
> ARM laptop finally. Are we getting at all close to that?

I guess the Samsung Chromebook Plus (Rockchip RK3399-based [branded
OP1 though]) also is somewhat close to that target - even with a nice
high-res display and everything except the 32kb BootRom being replaceable.

Of course Qualcomm-based devices have the Adreno/Freedreno bonus,
but even in that area we're seeing some progress for Mali (Midgard)
this year [0].

[0] https://rosenzweig.io/blog/a-moving-mesa-midgard-cube.html