Re: [patch V5 01/11] Documentation: Add license-rules.rst to describe how to properly identify file licenses

From: Thomas Gleixner
Date: Tue Jun 12 2018 - 15:28:13 EST

Yang,

https://lkml.kernel.org/r/CAOFm3uEpM_tBErkOvqghcy+wbw0i4mSnafPBRC3HYZVQjsSyMw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> This is conflicting with the current SPDX spec at
> https://spdx.org/spdx-specification-21-web-version quoted below and
> also the explenation in your own file.
>
> Quote from SPDX spec 2.1: More expressive composite license
> expressions can be constructed using "OR", "AND", and "WITH" operators
> similar to constructing mathematical expressions using arithmetic
> operators. For the Tag:value format, any license expression that
> consists of more than one license identifier and/or LicenseRef, should
> be encapsulated by parentheses: "( )".

This is not relevant here:

For the Tag:value format, .....

The kernel does not generate SPDX files in Tag:value format. The kernel
uses SPDX license identifiers to reflect the actual license of a file.

> > + A <SPDX License Expression> is either an SPDX short form license
> > + identifier found on the SPDX License List, or the combination of two
> > + SPDX short form license identifiers separated by "WITH" when a license
> > + exception applies. When multiple licenses apply, an expression consists
> > + of keywords "AND", "OR" separating sub-expressions and surrounded by
> > + "(", ")" .
>
> Conflicting with the example

No, The keyword is 'separating sub-expressions'. It does not say license
identifiers.

So these examples are completely compliant with the documentation:

> > + // SPDX-License-Identifier: GPL-2.0 WITH Linux-syscall-note
> > + // SPDX-License-Identifier: GPL-2.0+ WITH Linux-syscall-note
> > + // SPDX-License-Identifier: GPL-2.0 OR BSD-3-Clause

Two license (exception) identifiers plus a operator. That's perfectly well
defined.

> > + // SPDX-License-Identifier: (GPL-2.0 WITH Linux-syscall-note) OR MIT

This is actually a case where you need parentheses and they separate the
sub-expression 'ID with EXC'.

Adding extra parentheses around any simple 'ID operator [ID|EXC]'
expression is really overkill and does not make stuff more
readable. Likewise in programming languages. Why would anyone write:

C et al.: a = (b || c);
Pyhton: a = (b and c)

Thanks,

tglx