Re: [RFC V2 3/3] perf: qcom: Add Falkor CPU PMU IMPLEMENTATION DEFINED event support

From: Agustin Vega-Frias
Date: Tue Jun 12 2018 - 16:41:41 EST

Hi Mark,

On 2018-06-12 10:40, Mark Rutland wrote:
Hi,

On Thu, Jun 07, 2018 at 09:56:48AM -0400, Agustin Vega-Frias wrote:
Selection of these events can be envisioned as indexing them from
a 3D matrix:
- the first index selects a Region Event Selection Register (PMRESRx_EL0)
- the second index selects a group from which only one event at a time
can be selected
- the third index selects the event

The event is encoded into perf_event_attr.config as 0xPRCCG, where:
P [config:16 ] = prefix (flag that indicates a matrix-based event)
R [config:12-15] = register (specifies the PMRESRx_EL0 instance)
G [config:0-3 ] = group (specifies the event group)
CC [config:4-11 ] = code (specifies the event)

Events with the P flag set to zero are treated as common PMUv3 events
and are directly programmed into PMXEVTYPERx_EL0.

The first two indexes are set combining the RESR and group number with
a base number and writing it into the architected PMXEVTYPER_EL0 register.
The third index is set by writing the code into the bits corresponding
with the group into the appropriate IMPLEMENTATION DEFINED PMRESRx_EL0
register.

When are the IMP DEF registers accessible at EL0? Are those goverend by
the same controls as the architected registers?

No, there is a separate IMP DEF register to control access.

[...]

+/*
+ * Qualcomm Technologies CPU PMU IMPLEMENTATION DEFINED extensions support
+ *
+ * Current extensions supported:
+ *
+ * - Matrix-based microarchitectural events support
+ *
+ * Selection of these events can be envisioned as indexing them from
+ * a 3D matrix:
+ * - the first index selects a Region Event Selection Register (PMRESRx_EL0)
+ * - the second index selects a group from which only one event at a time
+ * can be selected
+ * - the third index selects the event
+ *
+ * The event is encoded into perf_event_attr.config as 0xPRCCG, where:
+ * P [config:16 ] = prefix (flag that indicates a matrix-based event)
+ * R [config:12-15] = register (specifies the PMRESRx_EL0 instance)
+ * G [config:0-3 ] = group (specifies the event group)
+ * CC [config:4-11 ] = code (specifies the event)
+ *
+ * Events with the P flag set to zero are treated as common PMUv3 events
+ * and are directly programmed into PMXEVTYPERx_EL0.

When PMUv3 is given a raw event code, the config fields should be the
PMU event number, and this conflicts with RESERVED encodings.

I'd rather we used a separate field for the QC extension events. e.g.
turn config1 into a flags field, and move the P flag there.

We *should* add code to sanity check those fields are zero in the PMUv3
driver, even though it's a potential ABI break to start now.

I should have stated clearly that in this case the event code is directly
programmed into PMXEVTYPERx_EL0.evtCount, not by this code, but by the PMUv3
code, which will do the masking and ensure reserved bits are not touched.
IOW, that case is no different from the raw event or a common event case.

I would prefer to keep the flag in config because it allows the use of
raw code encodings to access these events more easily, and given that
the flag is never propagated to any register I believe it is safe.

+ *
+ * The first two indexes are set combining the RESR and group number with
+ * a base number and writing it into the architected PMXEVTYPER_EL0 register.
+ * The third index is set by writing the code into the bits corresponding
+ * with the group into the appropriate IMPLEMENTATION DEFINED PMRESRx_EL0
+ * register.
+ */
+
+#include <linux/acpi.h>
+#include <linux/perf/arm_pmu.h>

You'll also need:

#include <linux/bitops.h>
#include <linux/device.h>
#include <linux/perf_event.h>
#include <linux/printk.h>
#include <linux/types.h>

#include <asm/barrier.h>
#include <asm/sysreg.h>

Will do.

+
+#define pmresr0_el0 sys_reg(3, 5, 11, 3, 0)
+#define pmresr1_el0 sys_reg(3, 5, 11, 3, 2)
+#define pmresr2_el0 sys_reg(3, 5, 11, 3, 4)
+#define pmxevcntcr_el0 sys_reg(3, 5, 11, 0, 3)
+
+#define QC_EVT_PFX_SHIFT 16
+#define QC_EVT_REG_SHIFT 12
+#define QC_EVT_CODE_SHIFT 4
+#define QC_EVT_GRP_SHIFT 0
+#define QC_EVT_PFX_MASK GENMASK(QC_EVT_PFX_SHIFT, QC_EVT_PFX_SHIFT)
+#define QC_EVT_REG_MASK GENMASK(QC_EVT_REG_SHIFT + 3, QC_EVT_REG_SHIFT)
+#define QC_EVT_CODE_MASK GENMASK(QC_EVT_CODE_SHIFT + 7, QC_EVT_CODE_SHIFT)
+#define QC_EVT_GRP_MASK GENMASK(QC_EVT_GRP_SHIFT + 3, QC_EVT_GRP_SHIFT)
+#define QC_EVT_PRG_MASK (QC_EVT_PFX_MASK | QC_EVT_REG_MASK | QC_EVT_GRP_MASK)
+#define QC_EVT_PRG(event) ((event) & QC_EVT_PRG_MASK)
+#define QC_EVT_REG(event) (((event) & QC_EVT_REG_MASK) >> QC_EVT_REG_SHIFT)
+#define QC_EVT_CODE(event) (((event) & QC_EVT_CODE_MASK) >> QC_EVT_CODE_SHIFT)
+#define QC_EVT_GROUP(event) (((event) & QC_EVT_GRP_MASK) >> QC_EVT_GRP_SHIFT)
+
+#define QC_MAX_GROUP 7
+#define QC_MAX_RESR 2
+#define QC_BITS_PER_GROUP 8
+#define QC_RESR_ENABLE BIT_ULL(63)
+#define QC_RESR_EVT_BASE 0xd8
+
+static struct arm_pmu *def_ops;
+
+static inline void falkor_write_pmresr(u64 reg, u64 val)
+{
+ if (reg == 0)
+ write_sysreg_s(val, pmresr0_el0);
+ else if (reg == 1)
+ write_sysreg_s(val, pmresr1_el0);
+ else
+ write_sysreg_s(val, pmresr2_el0);
+}
+
+static inline u64 falkor_read_pmresr(u64 reg)
+{
+ return (reg == 0 ? read_sysreg_s(pmresr0_el0) :
+ reg == 1 ? read_sysreg_s(pmresr1_el0) :
+ read_sysreg_s(pmresr2_el0));
+}

Please use switch statements for both of these.

Will do.

+
+static void falkor_set_resr(u64 reg, u64 group, u64 code)
+{
+ u64 shift = group * QC_BITS_PER_GROUP;
+ u64 mask = GENMASK(shift + QC_BITS_PER_GROUP - 1, shift);
+ u64 val;
+
+ val = falkor_read_pmresr(reg) & ~mask;
+ val |= (code << shift);
+ val |= QC_RESR_ENABLE;
+ falkor_write_pmresr(reg, val);
+}
+
+static void falkor_clear_resr(u64 reg, u64 group)
+{
+ u32 shift = group * QC_BITS_PER_GROUP;
+ u64 mask = GENMASK(shift + QC_BITS_PER_GROUP - 1, shift);
+ u64 val = falkor_read_pmresr(reg) & ~mask;
+
+ falkor_write_pmresr(reg, val == QC_RESR_ENABLE ? 0 : val);
+}
+
+/*
+ * Check if e1 and e2 conflict with each other
+ *
+ * e1 is a matrix-based microarchitectural event we are checking against e2.
+ * A conflict exists if the events use the same reg, group, and a different
+ * code. Events with the same code are allowed because they could be using
+ * different filters (e.g. one to count user space and the other to count
+ * kernel space events).
+ */

What problem occurs when there's a conflict?

No real problem at the hardware level since only one event can be selected
at a time from a group, but if this is not detected and dealt with the user
will receive incorrect information.

Selection is done through the PMRESRx_EL0 registers, these are 64bit registers
with an enable bit (63) one 7-bit field for group 7 (62-56) event selection, and
seven 8-bit fields for group 6 to group 0 event selection. So it is physically
impossible to select two events.

Does the filter matter at all? When happens if I open two identical
events, both counting the same reg, group, and code, with the same
filter?

That is possible and allowed, similar to counting the same common event
in two configurable counters. Only problem is wasting a counter resource.

+static inline int events_conflict(struct perf_event *e1, struct perf_event *e2)
+{
+ if ((e1 != e2) &&
+ (e1->pmu == e2->pmu) &&
+ (QC_EVT_PRG(e1->attr.config) == QC_EVT_PRG(e2->attr.config)) &&
+ (QC_EVT_CODE(e1->attr.config) != QC_EVT_CODE(e2->attr.config))) {
+ pr_debug_ratelimited(
+ "Group exclusion: conflicting events %llx %llx\n",
+ e1->attr.config,
+ e2->attr.config);
+ return 1;
+ }
+ return 0;
+}

This would be easier to read as a series of tests:

static inline bool events_conflict(struct perf_event *new,
struct perf_event *other)
{
/* own group leader */
if (new == other)
return false;

/* software events can't conflict */
if (is_sw_event(other))
return false;

/* No conflict if using different reg or group */
if (QC_EVT_PRG(new->attr.config) != QC_EVT_PRG(other->attr.config))
return false;

/* Same reg and group is fine so long as code matches */
if (QC_EVT_CODE(new->attr.config) == QC_EVT_PRG(other->attr.config)
return false;

pr_debug_ratelimited("Group exclusion: conflicting events %llx %llx\n",
new->attr.config, other->attr.config);

return true;

}

Will rework.

+
+/*
+ * Check if the given event is valid for the PMU and if so return the value
+ * that can be used in PMXEVTYPER_EL0 to select the event
+ */
+static int falkor_map_event(struct perf_event *event)
+{
+ u64 reg = QC_EVT_REG(event->attr.config);
+ u64 group = QC_EVT_GROUP(event->attr.config);
+ struct perf_event *leader;
+ struct perf_event *sibling;
+
+ if (!(event->attr.config & QC_EVT_PFX_MASK))
+ /* Common PMUv3 event, forward to the original op */
+ return def_ops->map_event(event);

The QC event codes should only be used when either:

* event->attr.type is PERF_TYPE_RAW, or:

* event->pmu.type is this PMU's dynamic type

... otherwise this will accept events meant for other PMUs, and/or
override conflicting events in other type namespaces (e.g.
PERF_EVENT_TYPE_HW, PERF_EVENT_TYPE_CACHE).

Will add a check.

+
+ /* Is it a valid matrix event? */
+ if ((group > QC_MAX_GROUP) || (reg > QC_MAX_RESR))
+ return -ENOENT;
+
+ /* If part of an event group, check if the event can be put in it */
+
+ leader = event->group_leader;
+ if (events_conflict(event, leader))
+ return -ENOENT;
+
+ for_each_sibling_event(sibling, leader)
+ if (events_conflict(event, sibling))
+ return -ENOENT;
+
+ return QC_RESR_EVT_BASE + reg*8 + group;

Nit: spacing around binary operators please.

+}
+
+/*
+ * Find a slot for the event on the current CPU
+ */
+static int falkor_get_event_idx(struct pmu_hw_events *cpuc, struct perf_event *event)
+{
+ int idx;
+
+ if (!!(event->attr.config & QC_EVT_PFX_MASK))

The '!!' isn't required.

+ /* Matrix event, check for conflicts with existing events */
+ for_each_set_bit(idx, cpuc->used_mask, ARMPMU_MAX_HWEVENTS)
+ if (cpuc->events[idx] &&
+ events_conflict(event, cpuc->events[idx]))
+ return -ENOENT;
+
+ /* Let the original op handle the rest */
+ idx = def_ops->get_event_idx(cpuc, event);

Same comments as for falkor_map_event().

+
+ /*
+ * This is called for actually allocating the events, but also with
+ * a dummy pmu_hw_events when validating groups, for that case we
+ * need to ensure that cpuc->events[idx] is NULL so we don't use
+ * an uninitialized pointer. Conflicts for matrix events in groups
+ * are checked during event mapping anyway (see falkor_event_map).
+ */
+ cpuc->events[idx] = NULL;
+
+ return idx;
+}
+
+/*
+ * Reset the PMU
+ */
+static void falkor_reset(void *info)
+{
+ struct arm_pmu *pmu = (struct arm_pmu *)info;
+ u32 i, ctrs = pmu->num_events;
+
+ /* PMRESRx_EL0 regs are unknown at reset, except for the EN field */
+ for (i = 0; i <= QC_MAX_RESR; i++)
+ falkor_write_pmresr(i, 0);
+
+ /* PMXEVCNTCRx_EL0 regs are unknown at reset */
+ for (i = 0; i <= ctrs; i++) {
+ write_sysreg(i, pmselr_el0);
+ isb();
+ write_sysreg_s(0, pmxevcntcr_el0);
+ }
+
+ /* Let the original op handle the rest */
+ def_ops->reset(info);
+}
+
+/*
+ * Enable the given event
+ */
+static void falkor_enable(struct perf_event *event)
+{
+ if (!!(event->attr.config & QC_EVT_PFX_MASK)) {

The '!!' isn't required.

+ /* Matrix event, program the appropriate PMRESRx_EL0 */
+ struct arm_pmu *pmu = to_arm_pmu(event->pmu);
+ struct pmu_hw_events *events = this_cpu_ptr(pmu->hw_events);
+ u64 reg = QC_EVT_REG(event->attr.config);
+ u64 code = QC_EVT_CODE(event->attr.config);
+ u64 group = QC_EVT_GROUP(event->attr.config);
+ unsigned long flags;
+
+ raw_spin_lock_irqsave(&events->pmu_lock, flags);
+ falkor_set_resr(reg, group, code);
+ raw_spin_unlock_irqrestore(&events->pmu_lock, flags);

Why is the spinlock required?

AFACIT this should only ever be called in contexts where IRQs are
disabled already.

falkor_set_resr is a read-modify-write operation. The PMUv3 code uses
the spinlock to protect the counter selection too (armv8pmu_enable_event).
I believe this is to deal with event rotation which can potentially
be active when we are creating new events.

+ }
+
+ /* Let the original op handle the rest */
+ def_ops->enable(event);
+}
+
+/*
+ * Disable the given event
+ */
+static void falkor_disable(struct perf_event *event)
+{
+ /* Use the original op to disable the counter and interrupt */
+ def_ops->enable(event);
+
+ if (!!(event->attr.config & QC_EVT_PFX_MASK)) {
+ /* Matrix event, de-program the appropriate PMRESRx_EL0 */
+ struct arm_pmu *pmu = to_arm_pmu(event->pmu);
+ struct pmu_hw_events *events = this_cpu_ptr(pmu->hw_events);
+ u64 reg = QC_EVT_REG(event->attr.config);
+ u64 group = QC_EVT_GROUP(event->attr.config);
+ unsigned long flags;
+
+ raw_spin_lock_irqsave(&events->pmu_lock, flags);
+ falkor_clear_resr(reg, group);
+ raw_spin_unlock_irqrestore(&events->pmu_lock, flags);
+ }
+}

Same comments as with falkor_enable().

+
+PMU_FORMAT_ATTR(event, "config:0-15");
+PMU_FORMAT_ATTR(prefix, "config:16");
+PMU_FORMAT_ATTR(reg, "config:12-15");
+PMU_FORMAT_ATTR(code, "config:4-11");
+PMU_FORMAT_ATTR(group, "config:0-3");

What sort of events are available? Do you plan to add anything to the
userspace event database in tools/perf/pmu-events/ ?

Yes, we are still doing some internal work to see what we can put in
the driver or as JSON events.

+
+static struct attribute *falkor_pmu_formats[] = {
+ &format_attr_event.attr,
+ &format_attr_prefix.attr,
+ &format_attr_reg.attr,
+ &format_attr_code.attr,
+ &format_attr_group.attr,
+ NULL,
+};
+
+static struct attribute_group falkor_pmu_format_attr_group = {
+ .name = "format",
+ .attrs = falkor_pmu_formats,
+};
+
+static int qcom_falkor_pmu_init(struct arm_pmu *pmu, struct device *dev)
+{
+ /* Save base arm_pmu so we can invoke its ops when appropriate */
+ def_ops = devm_kmemdup(dev, pmu, sizeof(*def_ops), GFP_KERNEL);
+ if (!def_ops) {
+ pr_warn("Failed to allocate arm_pmu for QCOM extensions");
+ return -ENODEV;
+ }
+
+ pmu->name = "qcom_pmuv3";

All the other CPU PMUs on an ARM ACPI system will have an index suffix,
e.g. "armv8_pmuv3_0". I can see why we might want to change the name to
indicate the QC extensions, but I think we should keep the existing
pattern, with a '_0' suffix here.

This overrides the name before the suffix is added, so the PMU name will be
qcom_pmuv3_0 for Centriq 2400 which has only Falkor CPUs.

+
+ /* Override the necessary ops */
+ pmu->map_event = falkor_map_event;
+ pmu->get_event_idx = falkor_get_event_idx;
+ pmu->reset = falkor_reset;
+ pmu->enable = falkor_enable;
+ pmu->disable = falkor_disable;

I'm somewhat concerned by hooking into the existing PMU code at this
level, but I don't currently have a better suggestion.

IMO this is no different from other PMUs implemented on top of the arm_pmu
framework. The difference is of course that I'm calling back into the base
PMUv3 ops, but the alternative would be to duplicate, which is what we want
to avoid.

Thanks for the detailed feedback, I'll try to submit V3 before week's end.
Let me know if you have any concerns about my replies above.

Thanks,
AgustÃn

--
Qualcomm Datacenter Technologies, Inc. on behalf of the Qualcomm Technologies, Inc.
Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. is a member of the Code Aurora Forum, a Linux Foundation Collaborative Project.