Re: [GIT PULL] Kbuild updates for 4.18 (2nd round)

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Wed Jun 13 2018 - 13:49:33 EST

On Wed, Jun 13, 2018 at 10:29 AM Masahiro Yamada
<yamada.masahiro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I cannot come up with a name better than CC_STACKPROTECTOR_STRONG.

How about just calling it STACKPROTETOR_STRONG and leaving it at that?

Make the "CC_HAVE_xyz" model for compiler feature tests, but when
actually picking an actual option, it's not really about the compiler
any more, except in the sense that it depends on it.

I guess we could leave the CC_STACKPROTECTOR option as-is, just
because it apparently has a lot of small uses in actual code too, but
there is absolutely nothing that uses CONFIG_CC_STACKPROTECTOR_STRONG
outside of the actual compiler option choice (and config files)

Linus