Re: fpga: fpga_mgr_get() buggy ?

From: Federico Vaga
Date: Wed Jun 27 2018 - 05:26:24 EST

Hi Alan,

On Tuesday, 26 June 2018 23:00:46 CEST Alan Tull wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 22, 2018 at 2:53 AM, Federico Vaga
> <federico.vaga@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Hi Federico,

> I've had more time with this, I agree with you. I didn't intend to
> limit us to one manager per parent device.

> >> At first thought, that's what I'd want.

> >> It seems like we shouldn't have to do that.
> >
> > Why?
>
> OK yes, I agree; the kernel has a lot of examples of doing this.
>
> I'll have to play with it, I'll probably add the owner arg to the
> create function, add owner to struct fpga_manager, and save.

I have two though about this.

1. file_operation like approach. The onwer is associated to the FPGA
manager operation. Whenever the FPGA manager wants to use an operation
it get/put the module owner of these operations (because this is what
we need to protect). With this the user is not directly involved, read
it as less code, less things to care about. And probably there is no
need for fpga_manager_get().

2. fpga_manager onwer, we can still play the game above but
conceptually, from the user point of view, I see it like the driver
that creates the fpga_manager instance becomes the owner of it. I
think that this is not true, the fpga_manager structure is completely
used by the FPGA manager module and the driver use it as a token to
access the FPGA manager API. I hope my point is clear :)

I'm more for the solution 1.

> Sure
>
> >> When would you want to do that?
> >
> > Not sure when, I'm in the middle of some other development and I
> > stumbled into this issue. But of course I can do it ... at some
> > point>
> > :)
>
> I was meaning to ask something else.

I see, you meant the example about the "virtual device" without
driver. I do not have a true example, but this is a possible case I
think we should support it or not (check this on register())

> I don't mind writing this and would be interested in your review/
> feedback. Thanks again for seeing this and for the thoughtful
> analysis.

I'm here for any feedback/review :)