Re: Linux 4.18-rc6

From: Martin Schwidefsky
Date: Thu Jul 26 2018 - 02:01:08 EST

On Wed, 25 Jul 2018 12:40:26 -0700
Kees Cook <keescook@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 24, 2018 at 12:24 AM, Martin Schwidefsky
> <schwidefsky@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Tue, 24 Jul 2018 09:15:58 +0200
> > Christian Borntraeger <borntraeger@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> On the list a different fix was proposed about 2 weeks ago,
>
> https://lkml.kernel.org/r/CAGXu5jKyESyPD1MyM7BrVFPKDY9+HqRCpXcKG5ikCZwdGZLaSw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>

> >> something like
> >>
> >> CFLAGS_als.o += $(DISABLE_LATENT_ENTROPY_PLUGIN)
> >>
> >> and I prefer that. Because your patch disables all gcc plugins.
> >
> > This change would cause trouble with patch dependencies as als.c is moved
> > to a different directory. I would prefer to disable all gcc plugins for
> > 4.18.
>
> I don't understand why not just add it to the Makefile. For -next and
> 4.19, just drop the line again once you merge with 4.18? A CFLAGS_*.o
> entry for a file that doesn't exist should be harmless...
>
> Of course, if no one is actually using the gcc plugins on s390, then
> okay, disabling them isn't a problem. :) But since it's been working
> on s390 since 4.15, it seems weird to turn all of them off just for
> 4.18 when a trivial fix is available.

The gcc plugins have not in wide-spread use, it is no problem to just
disable them all. The advantage doing the fixing with the Kconfig file
is that I avoid a merge conflict with the current features branch.
And I do not want to rebase that branch this late in the -rcs just
because of this problem.

--
blue skies,
Martin.