Re: Linux 4.18-rc7

From: Hugh Dickins
Date: Tue Jul 31 2018 - 20:10:06 EST

On Tue, 31 Jul 2018, Kirill A. Shutemov wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 31, 2018 at 09:29:27AM +0300, Kirill A. Shutemov wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 30, 2018 at 06:01:26PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > >
> > > So to me it looks like a historical check that simply doesn't
> > > "normally" trigger, but there's no reason I can see why we should care
> > > about the case it tests against.
> >
> > I'll think more on what could go wrong with __split_huge_pmd() called on
> > anon-THP page without mmap_sem(). It's not yet clear cut to me.
>
> I think not having mmap_sem taken at least on read when we call
> __split_huge_pmd() opens possiblity of race with khugepaged:
> khugepaged can collapse the page back to THP as soon as we drop ptl.
> As result pmd_none_or_trans_huge_or_clear_bad() would return true and we
> basically leave the THP behind, not zapped.

I think we don't care deeply about the POSIX truncate semantics on the
kind of "file" that has managed to get to this point: in the unlikely
event that a THP is immediately recreated there, never mind, so long as
we don't crash or leak memory or suchlike (the surplus THP would get
freed at exit).

I think we're altogether better off just deleting that VM_BUG_ON_VMA();
but I do find it very very hard to arrive at a firm conclusion on the
absolute safety of splitting a pmd without mmap_sem there (though any
problem unlikely even if real, and more likely a figment of my paranoia).

I believe the VM_BUG_ON is a relic from the old days, when anon_vma_lock
played a big part in guarding the pmd+page split: remember how mmap_sem
is one of the ways you can guarantee that the anon_vma will not vanish
beneath you (page_get_anon_vma was added later than anon THP).

I'm a little more worried by the nearby zap_huge_pmd() (which could
never be covered by a suitable VM_BUG_ON): the way that frees a
previously deposited page table, and you have no guarantee of when
and where that page table was last used. Again I can't point to an
actual problem, just the recollection that it's been found subtly
safe in the past, but any change in the conditions might affect that.

And a little worried to see how split_huge_page_to_list() uses
anon_vma_lock on PageAnon versus i_mmap_lock on !PageAnon: which
makes complete sense in itself, but won't protect against a PageAnon
THP being concurrently split from the truncate_pagecache() direction,
where unmap_mapping_range() uses i_mmap_lock. (simple_setattr() the
default setattr: that's a bit of a worry too.)

I feel I'm moaning and crying at shadows, rather than providing any
useful suggestions or patches; but thought I ought to report back.

Hugh