Re: [RFC 0/4] Virtio uses DMA API for all devices

From: Michael S. Tsirkin
Date: Wed Aug 01 2018 - 18:35:35 EST

On Wed, Aug 01, 2018 at 01:36:39AM -0700, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 01, 2018 at 09:16:38AM +0100, Will Deacon wrote:
> > On arm/arm64, the problem we have is that legacy virtio devices on the MMIO
> > transport (so definitely not PCI) have historically been advertised by qemu
> > as not being cache coherent, but because the virtio core has bypassed DMA
> > ops then everything has happened to work. If we blindly enable the arch DMA
> > ops,
>
> No one is suggesting that as far as I can tell.
>
> > we'll plumb in the non-coherent ops and start getting data corruption,
> > so we do need a way to quirk virtio as being "always coherent" if we want to
> > use the DMA ops (which we do, because our emulation platforms have an IOMMU
> > for all virtio devices).
>
> >From all that I've gather so far: no you do not want that. We really
> need to figure out virtio "dma" interacts with the host / device.
>
> If you look at the current iommu spec it does talk of physical address
> with a little careveout for VIRTIO_F_IOMMU_PLATFORM.
>
> So between that and our discussion in this thread and its previous
> iterations I think we need to stick to the current always physical,
> bypass system dma ops mode of virtio operation as the default.
>
> We just need to figure out how to deal with devices that deviate
> from the default. One things is that VIRTIO_F_IOMMU_PLATFORM really
> should become VIRTIO_F_PLATFORM_DMA to cover the cases of non-iommu
> dma tweaks (offsets, cache flushing), which seems well in spirit of
> the original design.

Well I wouldn't say that. VIRTIO_F_IOMMU_PLATFORM is for guest
programmable protection which is designed for things like userspace
drivers but still very much which a CPU doing the accesses. I think
VIRTIO_F_IO_BARRIER needs to be extended to VIRTIO_F_PLATFORM_DMA.

> The other issue is VIRTIO_F_IO_BARRIER
> which is very vaguely defined, and which needs a better definition.
> And last but not least we'll need some text explaining the challenges
> of hardware devices - I think VIRTIO_F_PLATFORM_DMA + VIRTIO_F_IO_BARRIER
> is what would basically cover them, but a good description including
> an explanation of why these matter.

I think VIRTIO_F_IOMMU_PLATFORM + VIRTIO_F_PLATFORM_DMA but yea.

--
MST