Re: linux-next: Tree for Aug 1

From: James Bottomley
Date: Wed Aug 01 2018 - 19:00:58 EST

On Wed, 2018-08-01 at 15:52 -0700, James Bottomley wrote:
> On Wed, 2018-08-01 at 15:48 -0700, Guenter Roeck wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 01, 2018 at 05:58:52PM +1000, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > Changes since 20180731:
> > >
> > > The pci tree gained a conflict against the pci-current tree.
> > >
> > > The net-next tree gained a conflict against the bpf tree.
> > >
> > > The block tree lost its build failure.
> > >
> > > The staging tree still had its build failure due to an
> > > interaction
> > > with
> > > the vfs tree for which I disabled CONFIG_EROFS_FS.
> > >
> > > The kspp tree lost its build failure.
> > >
> > > Non-merge commits (relative to Linus' tree): 10070
> > > Â9137 files changed, 417605 insertions(+), 179996 deletions(-)

> > > -----------
> > >

> > The widespread kernel hang issues are still seen. I managed
> > to bisect it after working around the transient build failures.
> > Bisect log is attached below. Unfortunately, it doesn't help much.
> > The culprit is reported as:
> >
> > 2d542828c5e9 Merge remote-tracking branch 'scsi/for-next'
> >
> > The preceding merge,
> >
> > 453f1d821165 Merge remote-tracking branch 'cgroup/for-next'
> >
> > checks out fine, as does the tip of scsi-next (commit 103c7b7e0184,
> > "Merge branch 'misc' into for-next"). No idea how to proceed.

So what seems to be happening to cause this is that there's a patch
somewhere between the merge base of my scsi-next series and the next
tree and the patch just before scsi-next was actually merged that
actually causes a boot failure with blk-mq enabled. Could you try to
find this patch? I think the way to do it is to try to bisect this
range of linux-next using the command line

scsi_mod.use_blk_mq=1

Which forces block mq to be the default and seeing where the first boot
failure is (you don't need my scsi-next tree merged to do this because
all the offending patch does is flip the default state of the above
flag).

James