Re: framebuffer corruption due to overlapping stp instructions on arm64

From: Siddhesh Poyarekar
Date: Mon Aug 06 2018 - 07:19:36 EST

On 08/06/2018 04:01 PM, Mikulas Patocka wrote:
I think there are three possible solutions:

1. provide an alternative memcpy implementation that doesn't do unaligned
accesses and recompile the graphics software with -mstrict-align

Given that there's already a tunable glibc.cpu.cached_memopt for powerpc that (as Tulio clarified elsewhere) essentially does the same thing for cache-inhibited memory, it wouldn't be too much of an overhead to put in another ifunc implementation that gets chosen only when one sets this tunable. In fact, we could reuse the C string routines for this to avoid adding yet another assembly implementation to have to support. That way we can minimally fix the issue at hand without regressing existing uses.

You can then set the glibc.cpu.cached_memopt tunable in the default environment for your board[1] or for applications that need it (e.g. whenever DISPLAY is exported or something like that).

The only difference from Power would be that cpu.noncached==0 for Power by default whereas for aarch64 it will be the other way around. It shouldn't be too hard to enhance the framework to set platform-specific defaults.

Siddhesh

[1] Or if you're feeling particularly generous, help us implement systemwide tunables since you have an actual use case for it :)